New PV GV 5er - microtilt?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jondog, Nov 5, 2004.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just got a new (to me) Peavey GV 5 string. Here are the pics from the auction. I like it a lot - the finish looks nicer in person and the neck feels great. I'm still dialing in my setup and that's where my question lies. I've never had a bass w/ a microtilt adjustment, how does it work? Do I need to loosen the neck bolts before I use it?
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I didn't even knwo a thing such as microtilt existed. Interesting concept.

Oh, congrats on the new very sparkly bass. Peavey is good.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here is a link to the T-60/T-40 manual.

It should tell you how to adjust the micro tilt.

Basically, you need to loosen the strings a fair amount, loosen the two bolts closest to the neck a couple of turns, and then loosen the two bolts closest to the bridge 4 or 5 turns.

You will need Acrobat reader to open this manual.

I am moving this to Setup.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK thanks. Right now I've got it setup pretty good, there's only a small bit of buzz on the B and E strings when I fret down low and play hard. The action on the mid and high notes is medium. I was thinking about trying to set it up low since this neck is so adjustable, but I'm not sure that will work with my playing style anyway. I've got a fairly heavy touch.
  5. If the lower notes are fretting out, then you need to dial in a little more relief by loosening the truss rod ever-so-slightly.
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, I already did that, it just needs a touch more. But more relief raises the action. I was going to try and lower it w/ the saddles, but the manual Embellisher shared says to use the microtilt . . . but I'm thinking the microtilt will raise the whole neck and put the buzz back on the lowest notes.

It's actually pretty good right now, so I may just leave it alone . . .
  7. Jondog, I'm like you in that I have a really strong right hand and tend to play heavy. But unlike most heavy handed guys, I like a fairly low action. So, I have to deal with some very tight setup tolerances. Well, I've pretty much given up trying to eliminate ALL of the tiny buzz's that crop up when I play. I've come to the conclusion that the combination of my technique, my favorite action, and the necks on my favorite instruments aren't the optimum mix for perfection. So, as long as I'm not hearing it through the amp, I can live with the very small buzzes.
  8. If you give the neck a touch more relief, you can lower the saddles a touch as well. I tend to play with a light touch with my right hand, so I have very little relief and my saddles are ever so slightly higher to avoid buzzing in the top register.

I believe that all the MicroTilt does is change the angle of the neck, effectively changing the height of the saddles in relation to the plane of the neck.
  9. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I finished the intonation/action this afternoon and just got back from gigging it, it's great! THanks for everyone's advice!
  10. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    So, you're the guy who outbid me....

How is the low B in real use?? I have read everything from "great" to "not that nice, cuz PV used a softer mixture for the neck" etc etc. There is one of these basses on my radar locally, been hanging on the wall for 7 months with no action. May have to buy it.

11. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    :) Sorry. If it's any consolation, I paid too much. The price tag on the case said $395.

I think the B is great. It came with a small gauge that was crap, but when I put on a 130 and adjusted the relief it came alive. I read that "soft" neck stuff too, and I don't get it. How is any graphite softer than wood?