1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Q-tron......problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alex, Dec 20, 2006.

1. I just got my new Q tron in the mail today and plugged it in excitedly. I plugged my bass into the "input" jack and then plugged a cord into the "effect out" jack and ran that to my amp. I turned the effect on and there was a lot of dead noise behind the effect. Also, the effect itself was rather disappointing. I don't know if this is a malfunctioning unit or if the pedal itself is just not that good. After re-reading all of the online reviews, I was assured that there was just something wrong with my particular unit, so I opened up the back to see what was up. I suspected some sort of grounding problem.

As I took the plate off after taking off all of the screws, I accidentally made the wire attached to the cover come undone from its soldering. There seemed to be nothing else wrong with the unit, so I plugged it back in, and the sound was unchanged (including the loud, dead noise) despite the unsoldered wire. I suspect that it was already damaged before I even used the Q tron for the first time. The particular wire that I unsoldered ran only between a random screw on the plate that I removed and a random screw on the inside of one of the walls of the Q tron, so I don't really know what its purpose was.

I was just reading the manual from the EHX website, and I wasn't setting it quite right (I thought that "overload" flashing meant that I had to turn it down or it was going to fry or something), so I think the sound quality may be normal, but that still doesn't account for the very loud background noise.

So can any of you guys help me?

Thanks

~Alex

2. anyone?

3. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    It's been my experience that envelope filters are some of the hardest effects to get good sounds out of. By that I mean that they tend to be picky about input levels and how the controls are set. Definitely not a plug and play effect.

Still, without hearing your pedal and knowing your chain, I wouldn't want to hazzard a guess. I'm useless when it comes to wiring, so I can't help you there, either.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    At least on the loose wire I can help. It was never soldered in place, only held there by a screw. The purpose of it is to ground the circuitboard to the chassis, which in turn grounds to the in/output jacks. If the noise was there with AND without the wire screwed into place, then I would guess that there is a grounding problem somewhere else. Check the other end of that wire, reassemble the box with the wire screwed down, and power the unit off a battery (if possible) or an isolated single power supply, with no other fx in the chain. Problem solved, or no? Let us know.

5. Well the wire has come totally undone from the screws that attached it (on both ends) to the chassis, so I don't see any way to reattach them without soldering. :meh:

Got any ideas?

6. New as in, brand new? Send it back, play dumb. :smug:

It's just a ground wire. How was it attached to the screws? Just reattach it in the same way.