Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lazy, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Is the new QOTSA coming out this week? I can't wait to get it.
  2. I can't wait either. Their last album was amazing, and getting Dave Grohl to drum for them can only be a good thing.

As far as I know, its out on 26th August in the UK. I dunno if thats the same for US & Canada.
  3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hits august 27th everywhere.

[my friend is a HUGE dave grohl fan...he sent me a fan-club email that provided a link to watch the QOTSA video and stuff]
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anybody heard something about Dave's "metal" sideproject - Probot?
    Sounds like it's gonna be interesting.

QOTSA are huge in Germany - there playing some big festivals here AFAIK.
  5. am I the only person who thinks that QOTSA are incredibly overrated?

I saw them live at the Reading Festival last year and found them really tedious- the only real songs they had were "lost art of keeping a secret" and "feelgood hit"(I also heard a Kyuss song with the same one-note bassline...) - the rest was just one chord-"songs"/ jamming out - the last song went on for ages with Josh Homme soloing aimlessly.
    I find Nick Oliveri's bass playing pretty sloppy too.

I've got a copy of their Rated R album, and the only other decent song on there is "better living through chemistry" which is very similar to Radiohead's "airbag".
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    no idea!

but i assure you, i'll be one of the first to know!
  7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've only heard two of their songs, "Better Living Through Chemistry" and "The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret", and I liked them both.

Are there any other songs I should listen for? If you were to pick their "quintessential" album, which one would it be?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)
  8. I'm loving the new CD as well. It seems to get better with every listen. At the minute I'd say its not as good as Rated R, but that could change. I still haven't got around to picking up their debut album, but it's definitely at the top of my list now.
  9. i think it's great. i'm personally really digging the "one-chord song" style. :D rock and roll is dead.
  10. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I just got it today and am also digging it. What kind of gear does Nick Oliveri use?
  11. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Nah, you're probably not the only one who thinks they're overrated. Here in Canada though, I barely hear anything about them. I like the raw sound of the music and I actually think the basslines on a lot of the songs are catchy!

P.S. I thought Josh Homme was actually Craig Kilborn!!:D
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have bought "Songs for the deaf" yesterday. i listened to it all night long.

it's a masterwork of modern rock music. great great album, man!

josh homme is a guitar genius and i love the approach of QOTSA to the music.
    Mr. Grohl hits the drumkit really HARD and the album is so fresh and new!

to me they are the best band out there nowadays,
    for sure.
  13. I agree with Barroso, QOTSA rules !
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

"Songs for the Deaf" is the only QOTSA album I own, but I really dig it. The other so-called "stoner metal" albums I own are pretty much one-dimensional, but "Deaf" has a refreshing variety of songs. Excellent vocals too... the harmonies remind me of Cream.