Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New QSC 1602, B max, Aguilar rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Ingraham, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Finally finished assembling all the pieces of my new rig. Unfortunately it cost me a little more than i figured as i got ripped off for the QSC on Ebay and had to buy another.
    Saved some money on the rack however as i built that in my shop out of scrap. Total weight with the 1/2 ply rack case is about 38 lbs. .... same as the Aggies. I love the Bmax, its very clear and articulate yet maintains a massive low end. I especially like it with my DB, its hard to get a good amplified sound with the Fishman piezo pickup that's on it, but the sonic maximiser thingy seems to take out the honk and smooths out the brittleness.
    All in all Im very pleased with this set up. It has great sound, is extremely portable, gives me lots of set up options with all my various speakers because of the QSC's versatility and doesnt look half bad either:
    [​IMG]

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Great looking rack!!! Did you make a front lid to prevent damage to the front panels when you lug it around?

3. Nice, though I find myself more drawn to the Curbow than anything else. ;)

Mike

4. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Yea the Curbow is an incredible instrument. Sounds phenomenal thru this new rig too . As far as a lid, no i didnt make one and im not planning on it... all the controls are recessed behind the edge and I hump my own gear so im not worried about it. thanks for looking ;)

5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Nice looking rig. You might think about getting those Aggies off the ground by using one of those Auralex GRAMMA pads. I really feel they tighten and help clean up the tone out of my Aggies.

6. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Looks great! I've been wanting to put together a rig exactly like that. What's your opinion on using 1 of the GS112's or both? How do you make the choice to leave one home? :)

The Bmax and the QSC PLX are just like those old Reese's peanut-butter cup ads - two great tastes (tones) that go great together!

7. looks like a great rig, I am looking to do something very similar. have you had a chance to play that in a band or gig setting yet. if so I'd really like to hear a review of how it performed, mostly did you have any problems cutting through the mix.

8. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    @Sufenta: you know i was wondering whether they'd help with rack rattle.. I put rubber feet on the case but a low G starts the QSC case a shakin. You think id need 2? or even 3, do you put em inbetween the speakers??

@weldon: personally i like the sound of one speaker way better as long as i dont need the volume. Only one of my bands requires both

@supernaut: unfortunately i wont get to try it with my loud band till end of the month. because of vacations, not even any practices :meh: My house is old and everything is so loose and rattely I cant really tell how it sounds at volume yet. I spose i could take it outside: my neighbors would really love me then :bassist:

9. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Auralex makes MoPADs that I put between my cabs and my rack. They have eliminated the 'PLX shake'. Just one GRAMMA pad between the cabs and the floor helps isolate the cabs.

10. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Not to steal Jim's reply here, but I've got essentially the same rig and have played out quite a bit with it. Cutting through the mix has never been a problem, there has always been tons of good clean power to spare, and the compliments just keep coming my way. To be fair, I've gotten compliments on my other rigs as well (SWR, GenzBenz, Eden, Ampeg), but to have such a portable setup that moves that much air is what makes this Aggie/QSC/BBE rig most impressive.

11. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    For those that only use one cabinet with a setup like this one, do you use a stand, set if "flat" or "upright", use a gramma pad, something else? I think one GS112 would be perfect for my needs, but I'm used to a 1x15 with a head set on top and I'm not sure where to put the amp rack and cabinet with this smaller cabinet.

Obviously I would figure out what worked for me when I started using the rig, but I wanted to see if I needed to set aside some money for a stand(s) (for the pre/poweramp, cabinet, or both).

12. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    When Im using just one cab I use a stand that gets it up to waist height. I use the cab set flat as theres more room to put stuff on top. Im definately going to look into the MoPads to help deal with the rack rattle.
    I have a question for you guys running the QSC into Aggies... are you using bridged mono or stereo into 2 cabs and also do you turn the gain on the QSC all the way up or only partially up?? thanks