NEW Quarter Pounder problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LowEnd Theory, Jul 29, 2005.

1. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    need help quick! :help:
    i was about to install my new QP's
    on my fender jazz and noticed their diagram telling me to ground the bridge pickup to the neck pot...
    But on their site they have a diagram that says to ground it to the bridge pot...
    obviously i think the right thing to do is to ground each pups wire to it respective volume pot...
    but why show the other way?.. :confused: is this a series/parallel thing.... and will it make my neck pot a master volume knob? :confused:
    any help out there would be appreciated.. :hyper:
  2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    As long as all your grounds go to one source it doesn't matter if you solder your black wires to the top of your bridge. However, either of your volume pots will work. It won't affect the tone in the least bit.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    as long as it's grounded to a pot with a path to ground, it doesn't matter which one
  4. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    tahnks a ton guys...
    i decided to send it in cause my soldering iron sucks.
    I just got it back on the volume knobs work a bit oddly... Not like they used to.
    WHen both are turned all the way up it seems to cancel the low end and sounds really trebley. In order to use both pups at full volume i need to offset one of them a few notches back....
    Is this natural for these QP's? :confused:
    why would this be?
  5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Sounds like your tech wired them out of phase. Reverse the black and white wires on ONE pickup and you should be good. Or take it back and have your tech do it free of charge.
  6. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    jeez, well, thanks for the advice...
    Guess I'll have to open it up myself and take a look at what they did in there.... :rollno:
    this is the part where i complain :spit:
    I couldve boched the job myself and not have to pay for it...
    The thing is that the guy there tried to pass it off as if it were normal. some sort of "humbucker" type thing. I dont know what the hell he was talkin about... and that fenders were "quirky" like that. :eyebrow:
    Anywho, theres no reason why they shouldnt work normaly right? :scowl:
    thanks for the tips... I'll check it out and possibly take it back in.... :rolleyes:
  7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    The guy sounds like a real tool.
  8. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005

Does anyone know if the pups being out of phase affects the sound or strength of the signal at all? Is it necessarily a bad thing?
    And when theyre both "phased out" what exactly am i hearing?
    Its way too trebley to be just one pick up thats on.
    its like it changes the whole strength of the sound.
    Any ideas?

and yes im beginning to think he is a tool... :smug:
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    When they are out of phase, the signals from each pickup has some cancellation effect when put together. This usually takes away the low end.
  10. Yeah. Think Fender Stratocaster. That quack on 2nd and 4th position is caused by out of phase wiring. It's an effect. Not one that has much use on a bass, IMO. Just change the live and ground wires around on one pickup and the problem is over, as others have said.

BTW, I have known Seymour Duncan pickups wrongly colour coded, so it might not be the tech's fault entirely....
  11. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Did you check your tone pot position? :eyebrow:
  12. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    yeah, pots were solid, tip top...
    If any of you care or would like to know,
    I got my Jazz back today with the pups in order... everythings fine.
    They were actually good about it all and apologized for the whole thing.
    I just hate that i have to go through so much crap to get something done....
    I'll tell ya, the more you can handle yourself, the better
    now im off to enjoy my new sound! :bassist: