Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New question about the valves in the V4BH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by damos, Mar 2, 2006.

1. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello,
    I see that the valves in my Ampeg V4BH are sovtek 5881 wxt
    I want to known if i can replace them by another 6l6 valves family like :
    6l6 GC
    or another like KT88 or 7591A ?
    I want to call a technician and i must to make the good choice ?
    Thanks

2. You'll probably have to keep to the same kind of tubes, i think 5881's and 6L6's are the same, and i think 7027A's are similar

3. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Oh thanks
    I think the 7027 A are the best choice for a bass amp more than 5881...

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    What is it that you are looking to try to achieve? I have a V4BH so I'm just curious. I just put Sovtek 6L6 WXT + tubes in. Since it came to me with Groove Tube GT-6L6-C tubes, I don't know what the stock WXT (non-plus) tubes sound like, but I know the WXT +'s sound WAY better than the Groove Tubes, and I just mean there is more power, clarity, and headroom. It's not an SVT Classic, but it's pretty close.

Skel

5. I just got a v4bh and I am using it through avatar speakers (CB115 and B112 Cabinets) and I think I could use more headroom! It could be the speakers, it could be my bass (jazz w/ custom shop '60s pickups - relatively low output), but I expected it to be louder! I have had two of the vintage v4b's in the past and those were amazingly loud! This isn't doing it for me and I think maybe the 5881s are weak.
    Psycho, I know this has been hashed over before, but could you provide some insight?
    What CAN you put in there? I know the transformers aren't the same as the vintage types, but can you run 6550's?

6. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Yes
    it must be a good thing if we can find the best valves for this Amp because i think that the 5881 seem not to be the best for a bassamp...
    But the 6550 is not a 6L6L valve...

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Didn't you guys realize these amps came with 6L6's when you bought it? Not all 5881/6L6's are created equal, but the amp was designed by pretty smart engineers to use 6L6 output tubes. Somebody like Jerrold would have to tell you if the amp could use a different output tube class.

I'm the guiltiest about buying stuff before I try it, and it sounds like maybe you guys did this too? I sold mine, but I wondered how it would have sounded with a 12AX7 in place of the 12AU7 driver tube.

Skel

8. Hey, Skel,
    I DID realize that it was loaded with 6L6-type tubes. I do impulse buy, but I usually don't buy stuff blind, especially when it costs $500.
    My issue is that I have had the vintage type v4bs in the past (still kicking myself for that one) and the old ones blow this new one out of the water as far as sheer volume and power. The tone is fantastic, but I need more volume. Since the old ones AND the new ones use 6L6(GC)-type tubes, why are the new ones less powerful? Transformer?

Psycho, :help:
    I want the power of the vintage v4b in the new package. Is this possible?
    6550s are out of the question, right?