Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New question; Old subject

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Oct 5, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    If guitar speakers don't have the frequency response to replicate bass frequencies, why does playing a bass through a guitar amp kill the speakers? I understand that frequency response means the fundemental frequency of a note and that only means the absolute base of the frequency, but whats the difference of playing bass through a 2x12 guitar cab or a 2x12 bass cab? To make a clearer question (which will probably do a lot more bad than good...): If a signal has parts that the signal processor and signal replicator cannot "accept", why does the "unaccepted" part of the signal (bass frequencies) cause harm to the amp and speakers? Why doesn't a tweeter blow out when you feed it higher frequencies that it can handle?

I know this has been talked about, SORT OF... But I couldn't find anything on WHY playing a bass through a guitar amp would blow out the amp.

Thanks everybody for your time.

-Jared

2. you could kill a tweeter if it wasn't for the cross over infront of it.

Most of the issues comes from cabinet design differences

Try not to think of the bass frequencies as un accepted by the speaker. The results are the reverse. The speaker is going to take what ever you send at it, and if its bad for the speaker its going to hurt it.

3. Playing bass through a guitar amp won't hurt the amp. The biggest difference between a guitar amp and a bass amp is in the preamp section. A guitar preamp is "voiced" to bring out the best in guitar, not bass. Playing a bass through it won't hurt, but the bass won't sound it's best either.

Guitar speakers are another matter entirely. Bass guitar will hose them in pretty short order. The cones are too light and deform under the strain. They also don't have enough throw and a bass will damage the spiders and knock the voice coil out of alignment. The voice coils are also too small and can't dissipate the heat. Bass drivers typically have voice coil diameters of 2-4 inches, guitar speakers don't.