New Rack or Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silent method, May 20, 2005.

1. OK here is the deal. I am looking to upgrade my 15watt practice amp, I only play at home and alone, I dont really have any desire to play out or get involved with a band. For me bass is a hobby I play when I have time but it isnt as consuming as it is for most of you. I enjoy to collect basses and work on them and play them when I have time availible. I play at most 2 hrs a day. So right now I have been playing through a tiny 15watt practice amp by squire and frankly I hate its tone or lack there of. So im looking to upgrade, now I know the advantages of going with a rack in that it will be easy to upgrade later however I think it will probably be too much power for what I am looking for. I don't really see any need is exceeding 100watts to be frank. So what do you think I should do? Should I just get another practice combo or maybe spend the extra and get a rig? I have been looking around and although I know next to nothing about amps cabs and all that great stuff I like the look of the Hartke stuff. Any opinions? Thanks

EDIT: Also can you recomend some sites that will deliver to Canada? thanks again
  2. You may want to check out yorkville/traynor, since they are canadian made, sound great and awesome value. They make some great combos. Don't limit your wattage. Limit your budget, size and weight. You cannot have too many watts.

Delivery to canada is a no brainer with most U.S. retailers. I would check out bassnorthwest or zz or

The ashdown EB series- say the EB 12 180 would be nice.

(I know this is a tangent but you should consider playing a friendly open mic venue (like coffehouse style). This is a great way to expand your horizons and meet other muscians. You can't play with yourself forever.)
  3. I have an Ashdown Mag combo and may be a bit prejudiced, but I think the Electric Blue 12 inch combo is great. If you could find a used 130 watt or 150 watt one, they were still made in the UK and I think the quality was a little better, but the quality of the Chinese made 180 watt ones is still good. If you decide to play out, they are quite light weight also. Other favorites for not a lot of money are G&K 400RB 115 combo and Genz Benz Neox 400 1x12 combo. They are nowhere near as light, but I really like their tone for the money. BTW, don't be afraid of the extra wattage. You'll be cleaner at low volume and it will come in useful if you ever decide to jam with others. Hey I'm 59 years old and I still like to rattle the windows every once in a while.