Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New rack rigg!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzanova, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Hi everyone, I'm a fresh member of talkbass.

I'm planing on upgrade my bass rigg.
    My current rigg is: Orange OR120 '74 tube amp and a SUNN 215s cab. It sounds good but 4 day's ago I tried the Aguilar DB659. And man thats sounded sweet.
    So my thoughts is of selling my rigg and get: Aguilar DB659 preamp, Lab.gruppen iP450 power amp and EBS 212. What do you think about this setup? I know that I don't get a tube power amp section but maby it sounds "tuby" any way. Any suggestions on what to change (if any) or any other comments?

Thx for the help in advance.

P.S I'm from sweden = not expert english.

2. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I'ts a guitar amp as you say. But i'ts amazing for bass. Delivers a warm tube sound.

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    It would be killer set up. I played ebs head with aguilar cab, and it sounded great, supose that reverse combination should sound great too. Lab gruppen poweramp is great amp, but I don't think it adds "tubey" feeling. SS poweramps supose to reproduce clean tone, not to colour it

4. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    But won't the aguilar tube preamp color the sound to a warm tuby sound?

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I suposed that you thought about Lab gruppen, you've right about aguilar

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I run a DB 659 through a SWR 750 power amp and while it may not sound as "tubey" as a tube power amp, I'm quite pleased with the combination.