New Rack Set-up.......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by av_rockstar, Oct 9, 2003.

1. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    Im sure this has been disscussed before but im still lookin for sugestions on set-ups.......
    Here's my rig......SVT3-Pro , HLF-410 cab. Just got a BBE sonic maximizer and a A.R.T comp/limiter.
    Now, should i run thru the BBE then into comp ? or visa-versa ?
    What are some basic comp. settings to initially start out with........
    Thanks in advance for info. & input.......

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmm... Since the effects you are using are somewhat subtle, I think the order would be irrelevant. I guess it would depend on whether you want to use your comp for a tone control before your amp (so you don't peak out the pre), or if you want to use it as a volume control (in the loop). If you like your pre amp to distort a little when you dig in a bit, I would suggest putting it in the loop.

Use sublety when using your comp. a 3:1 ratio is a good place to start. Turn up the threshold until it kicks in only when you play your loudest peaks. Adjust to taste.

I love that avatar by the way.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It is recommended to put the BBE last, right before the amp. It works well for me anyway.

4. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    :bassist:
    Hey bro's, I'll try it both ways and just see how it sounds. Adjust to taste I suppose...
    Thanks for ur input.....

5. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    howdy,

yes, the Sonic Maximizer works best as far downstream as you can get it. In a setup like yours this usually means right before the power amp.

enjoy!