New Rack Set-up.......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by av_rockstar, Oct 9, 2003.

1. av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    Im sure this has been disscussed before but im still lookin for sugestions on set-ups.......
    Here's my rig......SVT3-Pro , HLF-410 cab. Just got a BBE sonic maximizer and a A.R.T comp/limiter.
    Now, should i run thru the BBE then into comp ? or visa-versa ?
    What are some basic comp. settings to initially start out with........
    Thanks in advance for info. & input.......
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmm... Since the effects you are using are somewhat subtle, I think the order would be irrelevant. I guess it would depend on whether you want to use your comp for a tone control before your amp (so you don't peak out the pre), or if you want to use it as a volume control (in the loop). If you like your pre amp to distort a little when you dig in a bit, I would suggest putting it in the loop.

Use sublety when using your comp. a 3:1 ratio is a good place to start. Turn up the threshold until it kicks in only when you play your loudest peaks. Adjust to taste.

I love that avatar by the way.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It is recommended to put the BBE last, right before the amp. It works well for me anyway.
  4. av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    Hey bro's, I'll try it both ways and just see how it sounds. Adjust to taste I suppose...
    Thanks for ur input.....
  5. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003

yes, the Sonic Maximizer works best as far downstream as you can get it. In a setup like yours this usually means right before the power amp.