1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New RAD 1000P power amp? (Pascal module)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rzero, May 16, 2018.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I don’t concern myself with those particular facts and I have the luxury of not being paid to concern myself with them. As a player, lik 99% of the market, it’s a little like arguing about which car is faster when one crossed the finish line first but the other has better published specs.

At the end of the day, nobody is on the gig saying, “it sounds like x but it’s spec sheet says y”. Perception is the eventual last word.

I don’t mean to be argumentative I just have had too many of these convos on TalkBass. Lol

NickCressotti likes this.
  2. MoonQuake

MoonQuake Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Montréal, Qc.
    This is on my short term radar...

I really like the way my AG 700 performs but it starts clipping a bit too soon for my needs.

My NV212T is very power hungry. And although the Aguilar’s poweramp clipping has no effect sound wise, psychologically, I’d like to use the remaining power without the amp clipping.

3. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I absolutely agree with you. I have listened to several ICE and Pascal modules in various sound reinforcement speakers and there is no doubt that the Pascal is audibly superior. The ICE modules sound good, but the Pascal modules are better - faster, more dynamic and with more low-end authority.

Afc70 and J.Wolf like this.
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    You’d have to compare the pascal to the 1000ASP or the 1200 to make it a fair fight ;)

5. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Theoretically true - nonetheless, each brands products have similar sonic signatures irrespective of the output capability. Since each these products are (probably) designed by the same people, this makes sense.

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    This thread is so far over my head the only question I can ask is "Are the lights pretty?"

hD38D76FA.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is why we have choices as designers.

mobdirt likes this.
  8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Facts are simple and facts are straight
    Facts are lazy and facts are late
    Facts all come with points of view
    Facts don't do what I want them to
    Facts just twist the truth around
    Facts are living turned inside out
    Facts are getting the best of them
    Facts are nothing on the face of things
    Facts don't stain the furniture
    Facts go out and slam the door
    Facts are written all over your face
    Facts continue to change their shape

9. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    I can say anecdotally that the Pascal power module vs. a similar ICE module definitely has more perceived "impact" when driven by the same source and into the same cabinet. All things are not equal (power supply, cooling, limiting, etc), so take that for what it's worth, but my Pascal-driven amp "feels" a lot more like a hefty AB with a massive power transformer than any of the ICE-driven amps I've had over the last few years.

As an engineer, specs and implementation mean everything, but as a player, my "seat-of-the-pants" preference goes to the implementation of the Pascal that I'm most familiar with.

agedhorse likes this.
  10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Wordy rappinghood?

11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Close! Crosseyed And Painless by the Talking Heads.

murphy likes this.
  12. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    Tempe, AZ
    Is this a simple mod that could be done on the RAD? I am looking for a new stereo amplifier as well...

13. radbass

radbass supporting member Supporting Member Commercial User

May 15, 2007
    south of chicago
    Owner RAD Repairs and RAD Engineering ,guitar, bass, and amp repair and limited custom instrument and amp building.
    It’s not very difficult. I’d have to change the input module and add an input and a switch.

rzero and wave rider like this.
  14. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    :banghead:... must resist...:banghead::banghead::banghead:... must... resist...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

15. MoonQuake

MoonQuake Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Montréal, Qc.
    Speaking about mods, would the add of signal and clip indicator be possible?

16. radbass

radbass supporting member Supporting Member Commercial User

May 15, 2007
    south of chicago
    Owner RAD Repairs and RAD Engineering ,guitar, bass, and amp repair and limited custom instrument and amp building.
    You could, but it actually doesn’t clip. The input is limited to prevent over currenting. An indicator would only show you have reached the limit, not actual clipping like a class AB amp. If you push it to the limit you’ll probably have permanent hearing damage.
    The amp has been modified to produce 1000 watts into 4 ohms at 120 volts, not 700. It also increases the burst power and weight of the notes.

mobdirt, MoonQuake and BIGREDSIX like this.
  17. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    Tempe, AZ
    So this is a linear power supply? And still 4.5 lbs?

18. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    Tempe, AZ
    I'm in over my head here, but everything I can find on the Pascal site refers to regulated power supply. What am I missing?

19. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I’d love to try one of these power amps or the Jule M2500, but, damn the Prolite 3.0 is cheap and has a lot of power. I think it is rated at 3kW burst which someone said would put it around 1500W RMS(?).

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The low voltage supplies are regulated, those are different supplies than what I am talking about.