1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New RAD 1000P power amp? (Pascal module)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rzero, May 16, 2018.

1. radbass

radbass supporting member Supporting Member Commercial User

May 15, 2007
    south of chicago
    Owner RAD Repairs and RAD Engineering ,guitar, bass, and amp repair and limited custom instrument and amp building.
    I can add a 2ohm switch.

murphy likes this.
  2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Yeah thats the Erizias 6. Its really amazing. I was playing a Skjold 6 which was a killer bass and such an amazing build, but my particular one was a little over 11lbs and wasnt working for me, for some of the 3-4 hour standing gigs I have. The Erizias is right around 8! And super comfortable and sounds amazing. Its also a 33" which is really comfy. I did a demo vid for Quilter check it out if you want some kind of sense of the tone of the Erizias. I can't recommend Pierre Erizias's work highly enough.

lo-freq and 5StringPocket like this.
  3. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks, Jake. This vid also popped up - I like some of the construction touches you mention re. the bass. I'd go on, but I'll quit the off-topic and let folks get back to the amp!

J.Wolf likes this.
  4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    What exactly does the 2 Ohm switch do -- limit current? Is there additional componentry involved, or are you accessing a feature already built-in to the module or is it something else that I'm missing?

What's the minimum impedance without the switch?

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    This takes me back to the Bob Lee PLX and Crest CA9 shootouts and observations...arguments....what a storm that was....and facts aside...my PLX did not sound like my old...SWR Stereo 800 or Yorkville AP1200...heft and kick..
    Maybe due to my Alembic F2b not being a good match
    However...ABing the poweramp of my Magellan 800 to my old led sleds...I went back to those heavy amps
    Mesa Boogie D-800 is the exception for me....I just love that amp

J.Wolf likes this.
  6. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    I had one of the earlier RAD units with the ice module. After running the Mesa Subway pre through it I ordered a D800+ and sold the RAD + Pre. The 800+ did not have near the depth or punch, and regretted the flip. I now have a Quilter bb800, and I’m really digging it. I have a Sonic Farm pre, I wouldn’t mind pairing it with one of the new RAD units!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    whirledpeas, lo-freq and murphy like this.
  7. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I know this is an old thread, but it seems like the place to ask a, probably dumb, question, or two, about this power amp...

@radbass or @Mike Arnopol -How much does it weigh and can it be rack mounted? Thanks!

Edit: scratch the rack mount, it almost sounds like this will fit on a pedalboard! Is it really that small?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    4 1/2 pounds according to the first post.

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I’m not randy or mike, but it cannot be easily racked, although I Velcro’d mine to a rack shelf. And I think it’s a little big to fit on a pedalboard. It’s probably a similar ballpark footprint to a tonehammer.

pbass6811 likes this.
  10. radbass

May 15, 2007
    south of chicago
    Owner RAD Repairs and RAD Engineering ,guitar, bass, and amp repair and limited custom instrument and amp building.
    I’d have to fabricate something to rack it, but with the size of the amp and most new preamps, I think you’d be carrying bigger and heavier stuff than you need to. One of my customers racked one with a shelf and I talked him into a pelican like case and he went from a cumbersome rack at about 25lbs. to a small case at about 10lbs. I use a laptop bag, small form, works great.
    The first post shows 2 and 3/4 by 10 by 7. It actually is closer to 4lbs. Harbor Freight has fake pelicans dirt cheap.

pbass6811 and murphy like this.
  11. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I'm still super curious about this. After I calmed down, looked at the dimemsions, and got the handy dandy tape measure out, I'm still trying to to visualize the size. 10"x7" is just about the size of an 4th-gen iPad...

20190117_151659.

For reference, this is a Temple Trio 28. It's 28.2"x16.5". Other than the 2.5" height, it seems like it's plausible that it might fit, but the amp still looks way bigger in pics. Is it just picture perspective?

I know Jule Potter is coming out with an ICE-powered power amp in a "pedal" sized box, but I can't imagine the dimensions will be that much different. I'm sure I'm missing something, but having everything in front of me and just running one speaker cord back to the cabs seems legit.

Help me, folks, what am I missing here??

12. radbass

May 15, 2007
    south of chicago
    This is a 1000P with my iPad on top. 3765DA36-1302-4ED4-BBE2-30F1E595FB78.

mothra2 and pbass6811 like this.
  13. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    It's actually a Hypex module. From the pic in the Jule Monique megathread it looks like it'd fit on a pedalboard pretty well.

Sorry for the derail.

pbass6811 likes this.
  14. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Ok, I’d probably take your advice and get a nice case to transport it in, BUT, going by the dimensions, it doesn’t seem to be that far off from being “pedalboard friendly”, if your board is big enough...lol!

16509DAD-1EE0-413E-961C-45660BD18BAC.

The box is 10”x 7.25”x 2.25”, so it’s .25” short, but it’s .25” deep. I stuck the ES-8 on for a worst case scenario switcher reference. With a high quality pedal pre(Jule is releasing one of those!), an OmniCab Sim, and a few choice pedals, this could be a basses/pedalboard/cab load-in. Even with a massive pedal pre, like a Shaw TIP, there’s still room for a few things. Temple makes a flight case for their pedalboards...

Having this much power on a gig board would be amazing! @radbass , you said you’d need to add a switch to make it 2ohm capable?

Perhaps I’m delusional, but this doesn’t seem like a horrible idea...

J.Wolf likes this.
  15. mothra2

mothra2 Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Did somebody say 'Pascal' ???
    IMG_7456.JPG
    WayneJonesAudio

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    J.Wolf and murphy like this.
  16. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I just received a new 1000P from radbass and have been checking it out with a Monique Dove Cage into various combinations of Euphonic Audio VL series cabs—VL-110s and VL-208s. So, 4-ohm and 8-ohm loads. So far its performance has been stellar, although I haven’t yet used it on a gig.

First thing I noticed was that with the 1000P full open, the pickups on my Marleaux active bass wide open and the Monique at about 2 o’clock the system is completely quiet. Not a whisper until you hit a string. Amazing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 6:31 AM