Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New 'Ray..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hi, I'm Jeff, and I'm a bassaholic.. haha.. Yeah, I bought this new 'Ray last night and am adoring it. Apart from being the natural finish (my favorite), it has a 2-band eq that I've been searching for forever.. To my ears, the 2-band eq 'rays have a growlier voicing and sound better to me all around. Anyone else feel the same way? Regardless, here it is.. not the greatest pic, but it works :p

Attached Files:

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
  3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...was a 1980 StingRay, natural finish. Very similar to yours (i.e., 2-band EQ) except no body contours and a maple fingerboard. To this day, it was the growliest, best sounding bass I've ever heard. Sold it in 1992 'cuz I was strapped for cash (kick, kick, kick - that's the sound of me kicking my own @$$ to this day). I currently own a 2004 Ray, Honeyburst finish, maple fingerboard with the 3-band EQ. I love it, but it's not quite the same.

Congrats - excellent purchase.

4. your bass looks familiar :D
    [​IMG]

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Nice lookin' bass. I've never owned a MM bass and that might have something to do with the fact that I've never had a chance to really try one with a rosewood board. GC tryouts don't count. Yours looks sharp. Maybe some day...

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Haha.. You stole it!! :eek: Nice bass indeed :D I kinda miss the days when musicmans used birdseye maple on the necks, but I'll live :p

7. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Yeah man the 2 bands are mean.

8. mine has a birdseye maple neck:) It was in a storehouse for 5 years, untill I bought it in 2003.
    anyway, congrats, and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with that beauty