Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Read Custom P-bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 1, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just scored this Read Custom P-bass from Bunny Bass after seeing it on bassgear.com! :bassist:

Here are the specs:

Brand New, only a few weeks old
    MIM Fender Alder Body in White Gloss
    3-Ply White Perloid Pickguard
    Read Custom 21 Fret Jazz Neck
    Mascar(sp) Rosewood Fretboard
    Aero P-bass Pickup
    Series/Parallel Switch
    Hipshot Tuners & Bridge

I am PUMPED. I've been wanting a P-bass for a while, and I've wanted a bass built by Jack Read for even longer. I got it for $1225 shipped + gig bag. On Jack's Model J & P basses, he doesn't actually make the body himself. He uses bodies that are made to his specs. This particular bass has a MIM body that he chose, which brought the price down a bit (with the bodies that are made for him, this bass would be $2100 roughly.

I don't know other specs like the nut material, fret wire (Jimmy at bunny bass says that they are about medium..not jumbo, definately not mandolin frets), neck dimensions etc.. So I'm going to email Jack for more info.

Jimmy says that the tone is that classic round, full P-bass tone, and with the flip of the series/parallel switch you get a great slap tone, almost stingray like.

I never thought I'd own a white bass, but I'm still drooling over this picture. Woo! :)

[​IMG]

Larger Pic

2. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great score! I love Jack's work.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh.

My.

Goodness.

That could be the single nicest P clone I've ever seen. He got everything right down to the low-mass bridge! What a keeper!

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Same here. His necks are what I like most. His construction is top notch, playability is incredible and they stay in tune like no tomorrow. I've played both a full Read Custom, as well as Zon and a cheap Jazz copy that my old teacher had that both had Read necks, and they were all the same..flat out amazing.

Usually my first instinct with a white P is to want to put a red tort guard on it, but I'm not messing with this :)

6. Nice P, I like Jack's work alot, I might have him do my custom bass, I really like that bass he did for Wooten. His sites not working though, Does he have a new one? Cause www.readcustom.com isnt working. :meh:

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea, there was a thread started a few days ago http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192950&highlight=jack+read

Hihe's downsizing his business a bit, and focusing on just his purity pre-amps and his model j's and p's.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bad timing...Jack is no longer making instruments. I exchanged emails with him last week.

He is now only making his Purity preamps.

The website is down until it's been retooled to reflect the business change.

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh he's not even making the model P's or J's anymore? That sucks. Hmm, I wonder if I got one of the last :)

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    great score on a great bass from a great builder... oh wait, what? he's not making basses anymore?

11. Congratulations. I've been admiring that bass for a while. It's nice to know it wound up with a TBer (and a fellow Masshole).

Jack Read's Jazz neck is incredible: the shape, the hand finishing, everything. The lack of inlays on your bass is especially cool. Enjoy the bass.

12. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Nice one! I also love the clean fretboard, and I'm a big fan of series/parallel switches on P basses!

:)
    Marshall

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea I'm pretty curious to see how it sounds. Supposively it gives a slap sound like a P-bass crossed with a Stingray.

14. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I play a CAR Read Model J and I got to play a bunch of Jack's basses when I was up at his shop. I played a P when I was there, but I don't know if it was this one. It may have been outfitted with different pickups. If that is the bass that I played, then you have quite a score while earning some envy :p points. That bass was outstanding. I had half a mind to work a deal where I left the J with Jack and took the P home! I was playing it while we were talking and I just kept chuckling.

Funny that you mention a Zon because I am pretty much playing two basses at the moment. The Model J and a Zon Sonus 5 fretless. Between those two it has been hard for anything else to get playing time. Jack is a player and builds gear that appeals to players. He could have gone ultra thin on my J neck, or used some kind of asym profile, but what he did was build a bass that is basically fatigue free and is full without feeling chunky. Neat trick.

Enjoy that bass, bro.

:ninja:

15. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    [​IMG]

More Read pr0n.

:bassist:

16. Those are mighty perty Fourstringdrums and Fretlessrock!

17. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well if it looked like my bass it very well may have been :) I've always thought of Jack as sort of a "bass magic genie" in a way, because from what I've played, his customers I've talked to, and the vibe I got from him, I got a sense that whatever you were thinking or had in mind, whether it be for a custom design or a bass mod, he could make it happen, and would whatever he had to until it was just perfect.

I honestly think this will be my last bass. I may get gas for a ton of basses, but in reality I only can see myself using one. I know that having a Precision will make it so (seeing as I realized that every groove I heard on record or in my head that just goes does deep in me is a p-bass). But having the P be a Read Custom just seals it. Of courese my fiance doesn't think that this is it, because I've said that so many times, but it already feels like home and I don't even have it yet. Hopefully by end of the day Thursday it'll be here (Jimmy @ Bunny Bass shipped it already, talk about speedy) :)

18. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just got an email back from Jack, and while he couldn't give me any more info on the bass than I already had (he doesn't log everything I guess), he did say "The white bass is absolutely killer- the best P bass I have ever played or heard. I'm still trying to recreate it."

:bassist:

Only 14ish more hours to go until I get it :D

19. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well the bass came yesterday (after being delayed a day by UPS and after coming 5 1/2 hours later than they usually do :))

After ripping through the very thorough packing job (although UPS helped me and put a gigantic rip in the front of the box so some of the shredded newspaper was almost falling out), I eagerly opened the gig bag. Somehow the plastic circle that Jack uses for logo's on his basses came unglued and I was greeted by this falling out first. No biggie, with the heat we've been having it doesn't surprise me. It was still sticky so I just stick it back in place. I was dismayed to see that Bunny Bass likes to tune their basses down before they ship them out (atleast on this), so between that and the heat (I'm assuming), the bass had a ton of bow in it. After buying a set of SAE wrenches, I got that all straightened out today.

For some reason there was an awful lot of white residue on the fretboard around the frets, which I'm assuming is glue. I was able to wipe most of it off but I may have to use a tooth brush to get into some of the tough spots where only a small bit still lingers. There is some of this white residue around the nut too which I'm going to try and clean up a bit more. It loosk 95% better now, but I'm suprised that if it is fret glue and not something else that Jack missed it. A few higher frets seem to have some yellowish tarnish on them which I'm sure will be easy to polish off. I also found a tiny ding on the body and there is a ding on the pickup from a screw driver by each screw, no biggie. This bass was sold as new, but seeing as they've only had it for a few weeks and jack made it in 2004, it has been used a bit. Another thing I foudn interesting was that the nut doesn't sit into the bottom of the nut slot. There seems to be some wood filler or something under the nut which blends pretty well although on the treble side there is alittle bit of a gap between a small part of the filler and the bottom of the slot.

Although nitpicky things aside (I'm not usually that picky but hey I have high expectations with this bass) :) it is a wonderful bass. Now that I have it setup it plays great. Jack's fretwork is perfect, and I couldn't get an answer before, but keeping with the vintage vibe, he did put would look to be small vintage frets on the neck. The neck is very comfortable and actually doesn't seem to have much of a radius. It looks like the E and G sides may radius off a little bit, much I'm having a hard time eyeballing it. Either way I think it's a great cross between my Cirrus Neck and the G&L L2K I had. For a 34" scale the strings feel nice and tight and don't have a ton of slack which I noticed on my G&L after playing my 35" Cirrus for a few months. It is great to be back on a 34" scale htough, I can say that much.

The tone is amazing. It's pretty close to what I've been wanting to hear, I just have to experiment with strings. I like the DR's that are on there now (not sure what model, definately not hi-beams though) although I think I may put flats on and complete the P vibe :) I usually keep the tone rolled all the way off or turned up just a smidge. It has a very full tone in the higher strings (the G especially) and seems to have a small amount of aggresiveness to it on the higher registers where the notes really come out at you. Jack's talent at neck building comes out in that the neck sounds even and in tune with itself all over. Octaves are especially in tune and resonate perfectly with each other, I don't know how quite to explain it. The slap tone is the best I've gotten on a bass. The pickups can be put into paralell mode (that's bass cut right?) and it does give quite a good slap tone, which to me is the only use for this switch, and it's very stingray like, although I do miss some low end and bass when I have it set like this.

I'm going to cut my rambling short and just say that this is a great bass, and aside from a few little things I found (most of which I remedied), I reiforce my stance that Jack makes a great instrument, and I think I've found a bass which I'm going to be proud to play for a long long time to come.

20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Here is a new pic of the bass complete with labella flatwounds and foam mute

[​IMG]