1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Recording / Bassist Needed

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by agreatheight, Apr 12, 2006.

1. OK, so in addition to playing bass :D I also run a small recording studio from my home. This is the latest project I worked on, a local Phoenix area band called Slideaway. I really dig these kids (19 & 21) and I wanted to get feedback on it from all you TB'ers, from an engineering AND a musical standpoint. I did the recording, mixing and mastering as well as quickly dropping in both basslines (just as a player, I am not in the band, lol). Speaking of which, they are looking for a bassist so if you are in their age range and dig their stuff drop me a line and I can get you in touch with them. Or drop 'em a note through myspace and tell 'em ERIC sent ya!

http://www.myspace.com/slideawayband

All feedback appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. Come on, some one must have something to say! Don't be shy!

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    it's not bad on either side of your question. THe band is pretty soft compared to what I've been looking to hook up with but I would mind trying them on and see if they fit. As far as your basslines... they work nothing flashy but functional. I would have tried to help make the melody stick out in certain spots.

4. To my ears the mix is a little flat. It doesn't jump out enough, but in all fairness that could be down to the low quality encoding of the mp3
    of the website. Any what is it with the super slow website anyway? Way too much going on there...

If your serious about producing them, I would try to push them a little more creatively. How many times have we all heard this type of music before? I know it's really not my thing, but it is very un-original and bland. You could push them to use little musical tricks such as pauses and silences to really emphasize drama in a composition/song. For example, on the track Blister, 1'03 into the song in breaks into a 'heavier' sound. This could really be dynamically more involved with the use of a 2 beat silence before hand. Simple, yet effective.

From the point of view of your basslines, this must of been difficult to do. On the one hand you want to show off your skills, but on the other hand you don't want to tread on any ones toes and make the songs yours, potentially frightening off new bassists to the group. What I would say is that perhaps a more legato/melodic bassline in counter point to the melody in the verses would work well, with a more traditional straight bass line (funked up) in the choruses might work.

That's my 2 pennies worth anyway..... Good work though.

5. Actually recording the bass was easy - the band removed their bass player the day before recording, so obliviously now they don't have one. The last thing I wanted to do is record something difficult or too personal - I hate to say it like this but if I write something very original some poor 20 year old is gonna have to play my line note for note (or hear from people how it doesn't sound like on the recording). That seemed cruel so I just rooted or played what the singer/guitarist wanted. I tried to leave a lot of room for a new bassist to do something orginal latter. No need to pee on their project for the sake of my own bassist ego :D . I can press record on myself anytime.

I appreciate the couple of comments I have gotten so far - anyone else? Thanks in advance!