Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Recording from my band.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Trevorus, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Tell me what you guys think. There is a guitar harmony missing still, and some cleanup work, but tell me what you think so far...

My Band....YAY!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    come on people, I need some feedback here...

3. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i think it sounds pretty good. The music is good, but at first when i heard the vocal they grated on my nerves. as the song went on though, i grew to like them. its a little hard to hear the bass, but from what i heard, it's good.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    thanks. I think I'm gonna give the bass a bit more mids to have it cut a bit better. The vocals will probably be redone. But it's pretty good for our first stuff.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well, I don't like it. But that doesnt mean I cant comment on it objectivley :)

The recording:
    It has no bass! Not the instrument, the range - the kick, the bass itself and low end of guitars is non-existant.
    It really needs some bass frequencies?

How was it recorded? I presume it's recorded live in rehearsal or something?

The song:
    Like I said, I dont really like the style, which is just my personal taste...
    But I would say your guitarist really needs to stop soloing while the singer is singing. It's too much, in my opinion, because he's playing more complex melodies than the vocal part - think, what is the listener supposed to be listening to at that point?!

I think your drummer is pushing the right beats in the right places - sounds like if you emphasised the same beats in your bass line you'd have a nice rock feel - I guess you probably are, but I cant really hear it.

Song wise it could possible use some more dynamic variation.. I know there is a breakdown, 3/4 way through, but I still found it difficult to tell verse from chorus, bridge, or whatever?

Actually, it's your guitarist - he/she really needs to learn to stop playing sometimes! Less is more and all that! :)

It's nicely together as a band :)

Well done I say :)

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm with Howard on this one. Your guitar player needs to chill during the verses. His noodling is distracting and annoying during the parts where the vocals should be the focus.

A counter meoldy could be interesting if the guitarist insists on playing something "different," but just going wheedly-wheedly-wheedly gets in the way, and it makes the guitar solo less interesting, to boot.