1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Recording Pre-Mix, Need Opinions!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GerManson, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hi everyone, i am always here for learning from all you guys.
    this time i wanted to share with you the new demo songs we recorded past week.

this is supposed to be a premix, not the final product, this was given to us so we can listen and define the route we want to take leading to the final mix.

i've already listened many times and got a lot of details that i didnt like, i personally think that even knowing is just a pre-mix, it just sucks. just dont like it.

Due of being in the stage of making our comments and desitions about it, i just wanted to share this with you, and see if you could nicely help me to identify some things that i could have missed.

theres the url, its just 3 songs.

http://germanson.phisoft.com.mx/zommer/

btw, the band is called Zommer, and we are searching for a sound more like The Hives or Artic Monkeys. but still wanted to be originals.

====================== FINAL MIX!!!! ==========================

http://www.myspace.com/zommermusic

2. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    The playing sounds really tight, the mix doesn't.. Just on my headphones here the overall mix sounds kind of washed out, but the underlying tracking sounds good. It sounds like maybe some part of the signal path on the guitar is clipping (probably a plugin). Without hearing the original tracks it's hard to say exactly what to fix, but something has definitely gone wrong here.

3. thank you very much for your feedback!! :hyper:

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The singer sounds pretty good, but is slightly out of pitch when he stretches notes. The band part sounds good to me on the first two songs.

The whole mix sounds a bit muffled to my ears.

The guitar or bass sounds a bit out of tune on the last song?

5. i felt that way too.. but just at the beggining of the song.

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    OK, here goes. Take this with a grain of salt.

Let Me Take Your Heart - Good start, loose the verb on the guitar intro, it complicates the rhythm. Beef up the guitar during the verses a bit, it needs a bit more punch. The bass is sitting nicely in the mix, but could use a little more punch during that solo part. The drums sound good, but the snare doesn't really match the rest of the kit. Or maybe it's just sitting too high in the mix. Roll off a little of the ultra high end of the hi hat.

Party Trigger - Not a fan of the synth intro, but I like the start. It's got a tight feel, but again, the guitar needs a bit more punch, damn those single coils! The vocals are sitting a bit high in the mix, but that might smooth it self out with a bit of mastering compression. The bass seems to disappear during the drum paradiddle part. The drums are a bit different in this track, a lot of tom work, but the lower mids are howling my sub when he rides them. The kick drum needs a little more power, but the snare sits well on this one.

Pierdo el Control - Something is definitely out of tune here, sounds like it could be either the rhythm guitar or the bass. The bass is a bit mid-rangey and left field in this one, but just a tiny tiny bit. The toms sound a little more in control on this track, or maybe there's just less going on so the decay doesn't clutter up my ears. The choruses seem to be lacking a little energy, maybe the cymbals should come up a little bit on this one.

Please know that I'm not knocking you. I'm listening very intently and typing what I'm thinking. The overall product sounds very good for pre-mix. It should be easy getting these tracks into shape.

/.02

PS: Kudos to you for putting this out here for all of us to critique.

7. than you a lot lowendgenerator, that will really help us on getting to a final shape.

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Sounds much better in my opinion. I haven't had the chance to pick the final mixes apart yet, but I listened to the rough and the final mixes of "Let Me Take Your Heart" side by side. Sounds very good! I'll come back when I have more time and get a more detailed report lol.

9. http://www.myspace.com/zommermusic

well.. looking at this thread reminds me the old times.
    i guess we have improved a lot. the new demo is on myspace..
    take a look please.

i am recording with a rickenbacker 4001
    there are 4 bass tracks.

- bridge pickup (via DI Box)
    - bridge pickup (via bass floor pod with just a little distortion and compression)
    - neck pickup (via ampeg svt pro 4) (mic: shure beta 52)
    - neck pickup (via ampeg svt pro 4) (mic: shure SM94)

10. ohhhhhhh.