Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New recordings by my band (how's my mixing?)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Justin V, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    It's been a while since I've posted a link to a recording of mine seeking feedback. So I figured now would be as good a time as any.

My band in the past two weeks has recorded demos of two of our newest songs. Both my drummer and I have been mixing them independently. I figured I would post my mixes on here for critiquing (sp?).

The first one: Currently titled "That Much", though we're working on a new title. It's the poppiest thing we've done so far (six months in).

That Much

The second one is our latest recording. It's more of our "epic" side. Or at least the birth of said side. The big controversy at the moment is the use of the faux strings at the end that I've put into my mix. Any feedback would be helpful, but I think my ears have gotten numb to wether or not the ending I've done is TOO cheesy or not. So...yeah. I'll stop rambling.

"Pull In Case of Fire"

Any and all feedback is welcome and asked for.
    Thanks for listening.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The guitar sounds like it's too much in the background on That Much. The backups with the reverb is a bit cheesy, the main vox could use some depth with a little (but not too much) reverb and compression. Maybe a slighty reflective room like a bathroom would help. Sounds like he's singing through a telephone. And the drums bass kick really makes a subwoofer fart too easily. Needs to be tightened up a bit.

It's definitely a catchy song.

Pull in case of fire sounds better instrumentally. All the instruments stand well in their own space. The bass drum is better here. Another time where the main vocals could use more depth. The reverb on the backups is just a tad too much. As far as the music itself as a whole, I would definitely listen to it. As far as the strings go, that reverb you used for the backups would be nice. A nice hall reverb with a warm timbre. The fade out needs to be a bit more drawn out, I feel that it cuts too abruptly.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Woah. Didn't expect responses so quickly. Thanks.

Yeah, mixing vocals remains the downfall of my "production style". It doesn't really help that my singer doesn't enunciate all that well (thus making me want to boost the treble like crazy on his tracks). I think we'll be taking the bathroom vocal booth approach next time (next weekend most likely).

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My major problem is drums. How did you get your drum sound?

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you want to hear some good mixing of an epic sort of band, check out dredg. They have a myspace, too. www.myspace.com/dredg

They have really large, lush sounds, and everything sits so well. That is the kind of recording quality I wish I was capable of.

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Believe me. I've been loving Dredg for a while now. Great band.

We got the drum sounds with my drummer's electronic kit. He recorded into his computer. Sent me a MIDI to use with Garage Band's software instruments and (for "Pull...") sent me his cymbal sounds that he sampled off the Zydgan website. You can hear the digital-ness of the drums in the snare rolls and lack of sustain in the cymbals. But it sounds a LOT better than if we did cheap-o micing of his acoustic kit.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Actually, you may try some creative micing of the drums. An SM57 on the floor, just laying there just to the left of the kick pedal, underneath the snare, and one up high to cover the rest of the kit can be suprisingly good if you are creative and resoureful. I've also heard of people using a pair of headphones hanging up above used as a funky mic setup. I haven't tried that one personally. But, really, the drums sounds aren't all that bad.

Actually, Dredg is one of my favorite bands. I listen to all three of their cd's multiple times a week. I am trying to get a hold of the Coquette demos, and the DVD, which is nearly impossible to find.

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    bump.

any more thoughts on the songs?

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Not to sound too negative (perhaps it's just my personal preference), but try different chord progressions than the one "That Much" is based on in the future, I swear every pop punk band has at least one or two songs on each album that use it. You don't have to listen to me, perhaps I'm the only one who has grown tired of it. :bag:

10. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    That Much -

I'm gonna have to go ahead and, uh, agree with Trevorus.
    The vocals are awful! Very nasal sounding.
    Drums sound whacky. Seems to me you could level them out
    a bit. Bass could use a mid-boost.
    Backup vocals are, well, different...
    I'd lose the echo. Also - seems to me you should harmonize
    certain parts of the chorus, but that's not really a "mix" thing..

Pull In Case -

Much nicer. Drums aren't really working for me on that one
    either. The echoed backups actually seem to serve this
    song's "mood" quite well. The strings sound..."synthy"...