1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Recruit to Ashdown ABM 500 seeks guidance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kalipigeon, Dec 9, 2006.

1. So UPS just delivered my new(to me) ABM 500RC Evo II head (with 2 space rack case off ebay), and I was wondering if those of you with some gigging experience with this amp could offer some general suggestions on keeping it in top shape/getting various sounds out of it.

I typically run into 2 cabs (1x15s with tweeters, 500W RMS each) on stage, and I'm wondering should i get a speakon to 1/4" adapter to use both speaker outs on the back, or use the "SUB OUT" jack on the front panel for that setup.

I've been messing with it since I got it, and I like the tone a lot, but I'm not hearing anything amazingly different from other bass amps I've used (or DI boxes into PA systems for that matter). So if you don't mind sharing trade secrets, please tell me some settings to try that made this amp sing for you.

2. Oh, and is there any connection between the VU meter and output stage (power amp) clipping, or is it just like most solid state amps where high "INPUT" just warms up the sound a bit relative to doing all the pushing with your "OUTPUT" knob?

3. I'm using this head every gig. I actually really dig it. The thing I like about it is that it is very transient and my notes fly out of the amp. One thing I have really got into is the preamp blend knob. You can mix in the right amount of grit and get a great warm sound. I also dig the sub octave, but haven't been using lately.

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    The Sub Out is supposed to go to a Powered Sub, if you connect it straight into a speaker, you won't get anything. If both your cabs use 1/4" connectors, you could use a Speakon / 1/4" cable, or you could just connect the 1/4" out on the back of the amp to the first cab, and then connect the first cab to the second. The result is the same either way.

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Hi
    The VU meter is just for input level but it is post EQ so if you up the lows the levels on the VU will go up as well.
    I think most people find the VU useless. you can still get clipping even if the meter inst moving

6. Hrm...that kind of worries me, I don't want to damage the speakers I'm using, and my playing dynamics tend to clip amps a bit on certain songs. Any tips on how to set it up to avoid clipping but still get a good hot sound out of it? I've noticed when playing through a PA system that I line out to with my previous amp that I tend to pop the clip light a lot when using my bottom two strings.

Also, would using the speakon-1/4" adapter cable to one cab and a standard 1/4" cable on the second (to use both speaker outs) be the same impedance (2 8ohm cabs) as going 1/4" out to cab1 then cab1's parallel out to cab2?

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yes

How is your EQ setup, both on your bass, and on your amp?

8. Well I should preface this with the tuning I use... its C G C F, so the "lows" are pretty low.

I play an Ibanez soundgear bass currently til my Fender comes in, the Ibanez has a P/J configuration and no active electronics, I use one pickup at a time and tend to keep the tone knob pretty high for more treble. I'm playing through 2 15s, so I tend to boost my mids and treble a bit while leaving the bass fairly flat. I also tend to play a lot with hammer-on/pull off type lines on the 3rd (traditional D) string and some on the A and G. I rarely use the low string except to emphasize certain fundamentals. I like a strong mid to upper mid with medium bass and a rapid treble roll off to hide stage equipment noise from bad AC lines and the J pickup.