1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New REEVES 200 watt tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Oct 28, 2006.

1. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Hey everyone,
    I was talking to Bill at REEVES and he said they're thinking about making a 200 watt tube head again. He said it'll probably be around $2300.
    What does everyone think of that price? Does it seem high for the quality of amp you'd be getting? Thanks.

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'd be all over that given the Hiwatt's version in in the $3000 range.

3. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I don't get why Traynor can build a 200watt all tube head for 700 while all the others have to be 1500 and more...??

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    There's one at Action Music in VA. They sold the matching cab. Head price? $2450.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They're one and the same, always have been. Traynor was a a second tier brand back in the late '60s, then more or less disappeared from the US market. At some point the decision was made to drop the Traynor name and use that of the parent company, Yorkville Sound, and get back into US distribution again. With the resurgence of all things vintage and tube the Traynor name became respectable, and therefore was resurrected, but back in the day you only bought one if you couldn't afford a Fender or Vox.

6. Or if you needed to cover a stadium or arena. A Custom Special with two 8x10 cabinets was very reasonably priced back in the day. :)

7. ^^^ Very good read. I'm making my way through it now.

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    +1 to "I'd sooner..."
    Question are you saying that the Reeves aren't real Hiwatts or that you would pay less for a Reeves than the inflated price of a Hiwatt?

Save the cheerleader, save the world.

9. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Sometimes you pay for a name... hype... colored tolex... and whenever a company builds in small quantities... the price per unit goes up to cover production/development costs.

I don't know how traynor/Yorkville does it with the YBA200... but you get a A+ quality amp for a great price (and an incredible warrenty to back the product). Using the Yorkville manufacturing facility probably saves a lot of money on production. Interesting to note that the products are made in Canada.

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The discussion is about Reeves and your comment would be better taken if in courtesy you used IMHO, "Or I love my Traynor so much that I can't see replacing it with anything."

11. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

Can someone share a brief history/overview of Reeves amps and their relationship to Hiwatt?

I'm curious about both.

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Reeves was one of the designers and there was a period where he personally made Hiwatts. Fernandes acquired the marketing rights for the US and released some newer designs unlike the originals. Hiwatts were still made in their original fashion in England and a US importer started bringing them in with the Reeves name in place of the Hiwatt name emblem. Same great PTP amps. Even one like the Pete Townsend with four inputs and a volume for each. You use a 4 way y adapter and get the tones of each input. Then Hiwatt came back as Hiwatt with colors etc. (The white looks cool to me). Reeves are still available as Reeves. They are not cheap knock offs they are the same with a different emblem. The price is more reasonable. Since buyers and players know the story they command a good resale value.
    My experience with late '60s Hiwatts is that they are one of the cleanest highest headroom amps out there. No grit,no squashed Marshall tone. Big clear warm boom especially through 15s or modern cabs. The album/CD the Who Live at Leeds gives you that nice distorted drive which is as much the P-bass with Rotosounds and the 4x12 cabs. See an inside pic. of a head on the Reeves sight. Built like mil spec.

13. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

Thanks Chadds. To be clear are you saying that now the HiWatts and Reeves are built by the same people?

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes real English Hiwatts and Reeves. The early Fernandes seem to only look a little like Hiwatts. I had a Reeves on trial and it was identical to vintage Hiwatts. Call Reeves. Great people and this story in on their website. Click on the head and see great pics.
    http://www.reevesamps.com/
    Okay now I have more details. Up until 2003 they were rebadged Hiwatts. Since then they are made in Cincinnati. WKRP:)

15. One thing to bear in mind through all of this is that Partridge transformers played a very large role in the real "HiWatt" sound. Right now there are, as mentioned, several versions of "new" HiWatt, with Reeves being one of the most highly revered. However, the transformers used in all of the current HiWatts are "wound to original spec" and not actual Partridges. It's very much a "classic SVT" versus "current SVT" debate to many folks.

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Good point. I did send the one I tried back as it did not sound pillowy like the originals I have played through. My SWR 750 was warmer and bassier. I couldn't believe it. For other folks it may be great. It put out so many loud mids I almost went deaf in 15 min. with a P-Bass. It was the Signature and so well built!

17. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    San Jose, California
    I never really got this. Since he's writing it, isn't it obvious and implied that it's his opinion? It's pretty silly to request that someone state "IMHO" whenever they say something that may be disagreed with on the board. It's like an essay with "I think" all over it, just to cover your arse.

Toughen up the skin a little.

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I want a DR201, a CP103, and a DR103 (as a backup), and four SE4123 4x12 cabs, or maybe have them make me two 1x18s & 4x12s. Or two SE320s and two SE4123s. :help:

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Courtesy rules. It leads to polite understandings and misunderstandings. I don't care if we disagree. ("If you disagree with me you are wrong":)) It is stated as a tenant of the forum though to say IMHO. He said he'd never tried them so he spoke from a prejudiced place which kind of invalidates his opinion. Is he giving service to others to enlighten them on good and bad gear so that we may collectively learn from his experience or spouting? Apparently some of the TBers are young and inexperienced and want clear guidance on gear. Ultimately it's their choice to sell this gear to buy that gear because the new gear is now better than last weeks new gear according to other inexperienced and experienced TBers. Just my 3 cents:)

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    My skin is not thin, I'm asking that we hold ourselves to a higher standard.
    If a famous boutique amp maker wrote and said he realized that his amps were distorting because of a manufacturing error would that still be his opinion? If I said they are junk because of this, and don't ever buy them is that my opinion? It's all about the quality of the opinion and experience of the one offering it. Tempering your response with IMHO says that you realize and honor that we are all individuals. When a fireman tells you to run you might bend to his authority and experience and ask questions later.