1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

New Rehearsal Amp - Ampeg Rocket Bass B-100R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldrocker, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Picked up a used Ampeg B-100R to use for rehearsals.

Joined a band 2 months ago - we rehearse at the Keyboard players house. The 1st 4 rehearsals or so I used the outgoing bass players rig. Hartke L100 into 2 Ampeg cabs. The old bass player finally picked up his rig so they had me playing through a Peavey KB amp. It took a few weeks but I was finally able to get a decent sound out of it. Last rehearsal they replaced the Peavey with a Crate KB amp. I think they are really telling me to bring my own amp. ;)

Anyway, I don't think I'll ever get anything passable out of the Crate so I saw a used B-100R on my local Craigslist and checked it out. It sounded good and was in good shape so I picked it up.

I've noticed this amp wants to sit flush on the floor. When I first brought it home I set it up on top of a 4x10 cab. It sounded thin and a bit nasal up there. I moved it to the floor and the deep Ampeg tone came back. Have you guys experienced this as well with this amp? I was kind of hoping to elevate the amp a bit at rehearsal.

deathness likes this.
  2. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Best Ampeg combo ever. I used to have one and now I wish I had it back!

I never elevated mine when I had it so can't speak to that

DaBassman, Helix and Burwabit like this.
  3. Great Amps. Sound great with a Sansamp pedal in front of it. My VT pedal gave it extra gain and really nice OD.

Keep it on the floor & tilt it back 30-45° (but keep it supported in front & behind in case it falls over). Retains the lows, you'll hear it much better, and keeps the overall volume down so everyone else can hear themselves.

salcott, oldrocker and JimmyM like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I second everything said. Raise them too high (I think about 27 inches or thereabouts) and you lose the floor coupling, but tilting them back retains it and you can hear the highs and mids better.

AstroSonic and Groove Doctor like this.
  5. .... or just play bass laying on the floor. :dead:

6. Thanks guys

Groove Doctor likes this.
  7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One of those was my first real bass amp. I dont remember much about it. It had a warm tone. Not super loud. It wasnt the tone I wanted at the time so I bought an Ashdown Mag300 and Avatar 212. I was playing aggressive music. Nowadays I would love to have the B100r for certain stuff, and it probably does sound great pushed with a sansamp.

8. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    I use two, stack them and EQ them separately. True classics that Ampeg should have continued to make instead of that godawful BA115.

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  9. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    That was my first real bass amp. Had it for about 15 years. +1 on tilting it back.

oldrocker likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    People just didn't buy the B100R enough to continue making it. They usually opted for the BA115. I like the B100R better and wish I had one but I wouldn't call the BA115 "godawful" :D

11. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    I'm no Ampeg fanboy, but B100R is a a great amp - never owned one, but have heard and played through them. Enjoy!

oldrocker likes this.
  12. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    My first amp. Great studio amp... recorded a few studio tracks mic'd up with my old band. I was niave enough to think all bass amps sounded this good. Sold it because it's heavy to move (~70lbs maybe), but if you can leave it there, it's awesome.

oldrocker likes this.
  13. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

Close enough, 66 pounds.

Burwabit likes this.
  14. Yes, I plan on leaving it at rehearsal so I don't have to carry back and forth.

Burwabit likes this.
  15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    One of these was supplied for a rock musical I played, and I loved it. I started gettin' all GASsy. Then, one day after rehearsal, I plugged into my Roland Cube 100, and switched to the "Flip Top" model. It nailed the Ampeg's basic tone, but the 12" speaker doesn't have the same heft as the Ampeg's 15". I demonstrated this for one of the musical's guitarists, and he agreed it sounded almost identical. Since then, I've used the "Flip Top" model on occasion, which sounds great in a band mix. That classic tone really works.

16. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    I have b50r and reaaaaalllly like it. Ive played the b100r several times and reaaaaaallllllly like it. I would still take a b15n over either in a heartbeat as the best ampeg combo ever. One of the best sounding ss designs ampeg has done to my ears for sure tho.

High Camp and AstroSonic like this.
  17. Brought it to rehearsal. Kept it flat on the floor. Sounded good I was able to hear it in the mix with the other instruments.

With my passive Jazz bass I had gain set at 6 low tone at 6 and all other tone settings on 5.

18. fly agaric

fly agaric

Jan 18, 2016
    Sorry to bump this thread. My B-100R is distorting / crackling and I'm going crazy trying to troubleshoot this problem.

Sometimes this issue just goes away for months at a time. I have a gig Saturday and any help would be appreciated.

Actually, last time I had this problem, it went away when I plugged into the headphone jack to see if the problem was the speaker or something internal. This time I merely put a 1/4" into the headphone jack and moved it around and the crackle went away.

I'm going to have to get better about keeping the jacks clean. But that is a weird fix to that problem.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021