1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New reissue Hofner vs. 65 Hofner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I'm looking into buying an old Hofner from 1965 that has just had a neck reset. While there is a certain coolness to an old bass i was wondering if the build quality of the newer ones are better. Anyone out there have any expierience with both?

2. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow...you've been left hanging for nearly 2 days. lol While I've not had one of the vintage ones, I have had 3 hofners including a Reissue 1963. I've talked to many that own both and the new reissues are made in exactly the same way and from what I hear in some cases, the same people as back in the 1960s. The main difference is quality control is alot better and the glues they use now are far superior.
    As for me...I will always buy new unless I run into a true Macca spec 1962-63. There's alot more safety in getting a brand new one IMHO.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Also depends on whether you want a real (modern made) 500/1 model, or the Icon series. Obviously, the new german made Hofners are top notch, but the "re-issue" Icons are kinda hit or miss.

4. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I was suprised to see a couple of people actually responded. Thanks Guys. I hit up Thornton Davis for some info. Went and checked out one made in 67 that was in rough shape and then bought a used (made in 2009) ,German made, 63 reissue. I think I got a good price on it. Should be arriving the end of the week.

5. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Someone here recently posted the new 500/1's tone isn't as good as a vintage one. Granted it's subjective but old vs new wood was cited as the factor.

Having said that I'd love to have a new one. What I don't know won't affect me.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have owned a total of ten vintage hofners and one new one (2002), since i purchased my first one in 1973 ( and i still have that one). all of them have been very nice sounding basses. one needed a neck reset and a couple other's necks were a bit s curved, but still played well.
    i've also serviced/setup alot of newer ones when i had my guitar shop from '85-'05, and personally, i think the new german hofners have been, and are, just as good as their vintage counterparts.

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    You did good. The following is my opinion and mine only, but "vintage" Hofner basses are the biggest pieces of crap on the planet! (unless a LOT of rework has gone into it) I have a friend with one and it's the worst bass I ever played. Had neck problems which were "repaired" which only made it worse. Electronics (slide switches feh!) were unspeakable. Bottom line is you want the reissue with modern glue and modern switches. And then you have some hope of a bass that will give you what you want.

8. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Glad to hear so much support for the new ones. It was what I was hoping to hear.

9. Maybe I got lucky, but I own three Icons and I couldn't be happier. Nothing to complain about. A good set-up, a set of LaBella flats, through a decent rig, I think my Icons sound pretty much the same as the 500/1 I once played.

10. + 1 :)