New Renaissance owner!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, May 1, 2003.

1. Before anyone jumps on my for not having any pics, let me just say right off: I don't have any pics yet, but I'll post them as soon as I can.

Anyway, I just bought a Rick Turner Renaissance RB4FL. I've had it for a couple of days, and it just seems to get more incredible the more I play it. The sound is just so amazing and unique. It also looks as unique as it sounds. I have a feeling I'll eventually get tired of explaining it to people.

The interesting thing about it, is the top is made of bookmatched Western Big Leaf maple. It's mostly flamed, but it's a little strange. It seems to be burled in a particular spot. It also has an unlined coco bolo fingerboard which looks and feels amazing. I used to think ebony was the ultimate fingerboard wood, but now I'm bot so sure. The back and sides are really nice looking walnut. The last thing worth mentioning is the dingus strap holder, which looks a bit strange, but makes it balance so much better.

I'll be posting pics as soon as possible.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have one of these. It's wacky but cool. I don't play it out that much, but I think it's a keeper. Has a handmade vibe.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Congrats! I like my Renaissance (RB5FL) a lot too. I don't get to play it that much but it is wonderful. Have to get some unplugged type gigs...
  4. I think I'll be using mine quite a bit. It definately has a very different sound from most fretless basses, but I still think it can be used to great effect whenever a normal fretless would normally be used.
  5. I'd love to have one, but my budget constrained me to the fretless Godin Acoustibass I picked up recently... IMO, A/E fretless basses are just desperately cool.
  6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've played a few at Bass Central a few times and I think they're unique and great! May be part of my collection some day.
  7. I finally have some pictures. Sorry about the poor quality. It's hard to really get an idea of what the bass looks like.
  8. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    that bass isn't that great. i bet it sounds weak. It probibly ways a ton. Nice job with the pictures... idiot.My bass is a lot different in a better way.
  9. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    :eek: What the...
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That was uncalled for and utterly rude.

Jacob, that is a great looking bass. Ignore this fellow.
  11. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    now i wasn't being mean, sorry if it came out that way. but i beliave that is a bad bass , personally for me, because it doesnt look good... some people dont know what their talking about.
  12. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Second the :rolleyes:

"some people dont know what their talking about"

Too true.
  13. Way to be open minded. But honestly, I don't really care what you think. You obviously haven't actually played my bass. Otherwise, I'm sure your opinion would be different.
  14. I have a couple better pictures now.
  15. Here's a shot of the walnut back.