1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEW RESPECT FOR CLASSICAL MUSIC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by millsbass5, Aug 10, 2012.

1. The title says it all. But, a classical-version of Maiden's "Number of the Beast'. Splendid, I tell you. The song actually transfers over to classical music REALLY well.

2. It's ok, but a bit repetitive. Thing that bugs me is when people think if a piano or string is involved it's classical music. No offense to you, I was directing that toward the person who posted this on YouTube.

3. Maccor

Maccor

Aug 8, 2012
    Yeah, I like it too. I also feel that the division between "classical" and "pop" or "rock" or whatever is rather outdated. Today everything mixes anyway. Artists might have received a classical education but go for pop and so on. And it's the same in other areas of life as well. Fashion also mixes everything in a postmodern way and there is no rules there. one can decide how to look, what to wear and how to use makeup like blemish balm or whatever. It's all a big melting pot of things and sounds.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    That is not 'classical music'.

That to me is an attempt at polishing a turd.

Sorry.

5. GypsyMan

GypsyMan

Jun 30, 2011
    Texas
    That there's a classical statement, Don't care who you are, that's classical! GET 'ER DONE! :D

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Good one! :D:bassist::hyper:

still.....That's NOT 'classical music'...noooooooo itznodt.

7. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Haha! I dig it!

8. NICE!

9. The important thing for you is that you enjoy it. Nobody else can argue the point with you. Simple: you like Lima beans, and I don’t… I like scotch, and you prefer gin. You don’t have to describe or define it. Once you try, you can expose yourself in a very varied and technical world. Enjoy!

This is not classical music.

10. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    In the same pseudo-classical vein, how about a string version of King Crimson?

11. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Stop. Please. Stop.

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I really don't think these guys are doing any one a favour by messing with king crimson like that!

13. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    It just so happens a performance of the Carmen suite was on TV a few minutes ago. The solo violinist was doing the pizzicato part with 'much gusto' and all I could think of was, "BROING / SNAP".

Has anyone ever seen this happen in a classical setting? What does one do? It's not like you can 'Steve Vai' it for the final 9 1/2 minutes of the song. Do classical musicians have techs that run out with backup violins??

14. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I think it could be termed neo-classical. Classical is often associated with a time period and a style.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    If this doesn't give you respect for REAL classical music, nothing will:

16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Sounds very, Irish. Too repetitive for me, and I didn't really recognize the first minute or so of playing.... It's been a long time since I've listened to maiden, though.

17. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    To end the debate that classical can't be 'heavy' music - watch Clockwork Orange.

+1 On the Ludwig Van No. 9

18. redheadedstrngr

redheadedstrngr

Jun 28, 2012
    It is traditional for the concertmaster to give up his/her instrument to allow the soloist to finish. Depending on what has been discussed, the concertmaster or the assistant concertmaster may restring the soloist's violin onstage, or the soloist may choose to restring at the next break.

Check out this video of a 14-year-old Midori swapping violins TWICE at Tanglewood:

On a related note. Paganini was known to plan string breaks in his performances to add to the drama as he would progress through a piece with fewer and fewer strings.

19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Now THAT is something I find highly interesting, and intend to investigate further!

20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Apocalyptica is still unmatched in playing metal music with classical instrument.