1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New RIC day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kcole4001, Mar 4, 2010.

1. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    My turn!
    I know, these NBD threads pop up every 2 or 3 seconds, but I'm pumped!
    :hyper:

My first BRAND NEW Rick bass just arrived from Musician's Friend.
    A 4003 MID, all the new features.

No pics yet, I have to let it warm up before opening the case.
    I'll post pics tonight.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Wow! Brand new Rics arent something we see every day!

3. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    NPNB

Color?

Congrats! :cool:

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Nice. And I know its the case glue, but new Ricks have a special smell that lasts for quite awhile!

Enjoy it sir & congrats....

5. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I know that feeling as well. Enjoy it!! You got it in blue? That is a nice color for Ric's.

6. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Nice one, dude :) I remember when I got my blueburst 4003... such a special moment ;)

Oh yeah, remember: no pics, no bass :D

7. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    She is here, only played unplugged so far, but she has a very nice growl.
    I love the 'new' features: full width inlays, vintage tone selector for the bridge pup, more vintage body and headstock contours, and the adjustable pickup poles.

Something I didn;t know about: the headstock has a steeper angle than 1970s and 1980s basses.
    It's lighter than my '77 4001, the neck is close but not quite as thin, and seems a little broader, which is nice because I intend to eventually mod this to a 5 string as Jeff (Ric5) does.
    The action is a little medium-high, but I think just a slight drop of the bridge will make her perfect.
    The neck is perfectly flat right out of the box.
    Fretwork seems perfect.

Enough gab, here she is:

100_0334.gif

:hyper:

8. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Sweet bass. I love some of the modern upgrades they've done.

Are you sure about the whole 5 string mod though?!

Nice 4001 too. Is that a Hipshot I spy on there?

9. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Dude, I was so excited for you when I opened this thread until you said you were modding it. If I could spank you with a newspaper and say "NO!" I would. If you went through with it I would stick your nose in it and say "BAD!" Why not buy a 5 string Ric? Or better yet, why not play a 4?!

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Congrats, she's a beauty. But, I also agree, the 4003 is not ideal as a 5 string. Now, if you get yourself a 4004, those are much better with an extra string. Who knows though, maybe Ric gets back into the 5 string game soon, (I Hope)- or also consider, I modded my 4004Cii for BEAD or DGCF tuning just by filing the nut a wee bit. That bass is my low down growly beast. Absolutely stunning. Either way- enjoy that new Ric smell.

11. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Awesome looking bass. I really enjoy blue Rics.

P.S, what's that natural Ibanez's story back there?

12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Very nice, congrats! That's the finish I'm GAS-ing for, too.

13. congrats.. she's a beaut alright...

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A lovely bass. I wanna play it!

Congratulations!

15. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I'm keeping her stock for at least a year (possibly more), as I can't afford the hardware to 4-2-5 her right now.
    I prefer the 4003 look to the 4004 look, but who knows what will happen in a year's time, but I've been planning this whole thing for 3 years or more, so I think the mod is likely to happen.

It's really a clean, fairly simple, mostly reversible mod, the only thing hard to reverse will be the 5th tuner hole. Everything else will be reversible: pups, I'll get an Allparts tailpiece to mod, a new 5 saddle bridge will be made, and I'll keep the original nut.
    No fear, there will be no butchery going on, I love the stock look too much to go all 1970s on it!
    ;)

I don't like BEAD tuning, I use the G string quite a bit, so a 5er is the right way for me.
    I have a cheap Peavey Millenium BXP5, awhile it's a nice bass, especially considering how little I paid for it, it's not a Rick.
    I intend to bring both to all gigs unless I take my 4080 and the Peavey.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ibanez was previously owned by my buddy Mike who was the band leader/singer/guitar player in a previous band.
    It was originally BRIGHT red, as you can just see from the corner of the headstock visible in that pic.
    He didn't like the colour (understandably) and asked me to sand it down for him as a favor.

Let me tell you, if they painted cars with such tough paint, they would last at least another 10 years more than they do now!
    That was a hellishly tough job to remove, while being careful to remove as little wood as possible.
    He then gave it an oil finish.

Eventually, he wanted to trade another of his guitars for something different, and needed some extra cash to go along with it, so he offered me the guitar at a really cheap price as I had done the hard labor sanding it down.

I have since changed the pups a couple of times, that's a Gibson PAF in the bridge position, a Seymour Duncan Dual Rail HB in the middle position, and the stock HB in the neck position.
    I hated the original (PINK!!!) single coil that was in the middle position, it was underwound and out of phase with both HBs so any combination was very nasal and tinny sounding.
    Being a bass player, that had to go.

I rewired it so that the pups were no longer out of phase, and added the coil tap switch.

The neck is incredibly thin, but the Floyd Rose is a bugger to restring or downtune.
    It does play quite well, and sounds good clean, and has great lead tones.
    Kind of Strat-ish, kind of Les Paul-like.

edit: Oh yeah, not sure what model it is, but it's like the basic 6 string model of Vai's Jem.

16. Congrats dude!!!
    but now that you have a nice new bass,you could give me that old white ric yall have back there if youre feeling nice.....:bag:

17. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario

That's one cool guitar! Love the story.

It would be a 550.

(Btw, not to be a gearhead knob, but a JEM is a 6 string, Vai's Universe is the 7 string, which yours would be a 6 string version of, it has no monkey grip JEM505BK_monky_grip.jpg and no Lions Claw JEM505BK_bridge.jpg .

18. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Any time someone gets a new bass is cause for celebration. CONGRATS!!!!! and enjoy. :hyper::bassist:

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nice, nice color. congrats.

20. cj5150

cj5150

Feb 17, 2010
    That's a great looking bass. Your Tuxedo looks magnificent!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020