Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ric - Had to Tell Someone!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crested Radish, Sep 4, 2002.

1. I have just (2 mins ago) put the deposit on a new Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglow lefty.

Pick it up on Saturday and I just HAD to tell someone.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Congrats, man. Play the hell out of it.
    Doc

3. Hope you like it! I've never had the honor of playing a Ric.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    welcome to the club!!!

barroso owner of a mapleglo '79 4001

5. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    Cool:cool:
    Enjoy the hell out of it. I know you will. And, Welcome to the club.

jpwinters, Proud owner of an 83 Fireglo 4003

6. Thanks both, can't wait.

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Good luck. Show some pics when you get it.

Did you have it custom made?

I had a mid 70's lefty blonde 4001 (is that called mapleglow?). Sold it in '83 :mad: :( :confused: Don't ask why :eek:

8. Good luck. Show some pics when you get it.

No problem.

Did you have it custom made?

No I didn't decide until this morning that I was going to get it I put in a USA P Hotrod as p/x for it. I doubt I could cope with the wait of a custom order - I'm an impatient, impetuous customer.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    congrats on a beautiful bass - be sure to post a pic when you get one

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    John T...your new avatar is really disturbing :eek: A baby pinhead? :confused: :eek:

11. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You'll be glad you did!!!!!

12. Got the Rick.....Please don't tell my wife as I am now totally in love. Actions a little high for my liking so I'll take it for a setup in the morning.

I had always wanted a Rick right from when I started playing but purchased other basses as they were much cheaper. Overall I have simply wasted my money and should have brought exactly what I wanted right from the start. I feel now that I have 'come home'.

I am having huge digital camera problems so I'll try to post a picture later in the week but it's basically a stock fireglow lefty 4003. I think that Rickenbacker must have a sideline in making luggage for pimps as the inside of the case is outragous.

As I have been playing with my tone over the weekend it has led me to another problem though. I was playing a P through a Boss GT-6B completely happily but now, as the Rick sound is so distinctly trebly, clanky, clunky and wonderful I really don't want to modify it in any way. I've chucked the effects to one side and am happiest vanilla to the amp.

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    any new bass is good news around here ;)

Congrats on your buy

14. Ricks are great intruments.
    I basicaly have one (not really, it's my dads) but I can play it anytime I want (unless he's playing it)
    It's a black 1974 4001 with an EMG preamp, but me and my dad are geting tired of the sound and want to put it back to pasive, it was better that way! :)

15. Welcome to the club! '86 4003 Jetglo here-I'm a huge fan of the fireglo though, they're one of the best production basses out there!

16. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    oh man, I have to wait until 9/30 until my new jetglo 4003 ships!!
    I've been squirming in excitement for it but it sucks I have to wait so long!!

I guess it makes me appreciate it more when it comes?

17. Funny you should say that. I was originally after a jetglow (Geddy influences) but being a lefty I have to take what I can get - there is NO way I could wait for a custom order after I had decided to buy one.

No regrets though......I'll just have to get a jetglow next time (If my wife reads this I will claim the post has been forged) ;)

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I believe you were right to get a FireGlo.

Everyone should know that almost all manufacturers select woods that way :

- best looking wood : natural finish
    - good looking wood : transparent and burst finishes
    - worst looking wood : dark solid colors (black, blue, red, etc.)

This does NOT mean the wood is better on a natural bass ; this simply means it is better looking. And it's quite easy to understand manufacturers dispatch woods and finishes that way.

Have lotta fun with your 4003 !

19. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I ordered my Ric 4004LK (Lemmy Edition) January 17th, 2001 and am still waiting :mad:
    Congrats on the lefty Fireglo. I've always loved that finish. When I bought my first 4003, Mapleglo was all that was in stock so that is what I ended up with and when I went to pick up a Fireglo the store had a Midnight Blue which I fell in love with so I took it home......after the LK I'll likely pick up a Fireglo for my mini-collection...... :eek:

20. Blimy, why on earth has it taken so long?