New Ric In The Stable.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Jul 12, 2005.

1. I got myself a 4004cii in what is now discontinued "Montezuma Brown" finnish today.

First id like to say...the pics DO NOT do justice to this finnish. The finnish is absolutely gorgeous and beyond words.
    This bass is quite a bit lighter than any 4003's i have tried. I think it weighs in about 7Lbs and a 4003 is closer to 9. Very light comparatively.
    The bubinga fretboard is very nice and used to the rosewood on the other Ric basses but this is just as sweet to play on.
    This is not your typical "Ric sounding bass" Its very warm and has wonderful prescence in the low end. A much more modern sounding bass, thats for sure. Even though im not into funk/slap/pop or whatever i gave it a bit of a whirl and it seems to be very compfy for that style.
    My only real gripe is that i wish it had a 2nd volume/tone. But its a minor gripe...and not really a big deal.
    I hope there is a fretless version in the near future. :hyper:

Well, here are a few pics...because i know none of you care about what i just read :D

2. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA

That same Bass really tempted me !!!! I am glad she ended up in Canada !!!

Now with your collection of Ric basses, it would be complete with a 4001V63 isn`t it ??? :bassist:

Happy for you !
  3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I don't think that any photographs do justice to Montezuma Brown. My 4003 Monty is beautiful. That's a great ax man, I really want a cii....

4. Hah..that would be nice...maybe a reissue-reissue :D

I also would like to find a 1977 4001 eventually. And hopefully Ric decides to make a fretless 4004!
  5. I totally get what your in complete "Awe" of this finnish. I think Ric should have kept it going...but in a way im glad they didnt as it makes mine more unique :D
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like.

These pics make me want to risk the loss of domestic bliss and tranquility by buying a very $$$ bass.
  7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Beautiful bass! Congrats!
  8. you are an addict!!!

serisously, now you need the lemmy pro model, i know you want it, come one, blow that much money on that beautiful bass, you know you want too...

okay, enough being of being the little devil on your shoulder.

nice bass man, im sure she looks better in person.

9. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Any chance of you posting a sound clip of the 4004? I'm really interested in hearing what they sound like!

PLEEEEEEEEASE!? :hyper: :D
  10. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    hahah! You my have 4 ricks but I've played a 77 4001! Its also the only ric i've played and the one that completely sold me on Rics. Yes! I beat you on something!

Really man, sweet axe. I love rickenbackers more than any other bass besides thunderbirds. That looks real sweet.
  11. I am jealous! Hows about helping a poor boy out and donating one of those basses? I ll take any one of em. :) :D

I think your collection could only be complete with a double neck and the Lemmy Model. Maybe a Chris Squire sig too.
  12. Im not very good with recording into my i cant get any clips for a bit.

I want a 77, because thats the year i was born...and i think id get a kick out of owning a bass as old as me, heh. :)

As for getting a Lemmy or Squire...those would be nice...but they have been out of production for a while now and have VERY limited quantities. Their prices went up like crazy ( i have seen the Squire is pushing close to $5000! now)
    Even if i could find any i would be paying a small fortune. Those are prices im not interested in paying. There are a few people on this site, and on the Ric forums with Squires and a Lemmy...maybe one day they will sell to me :D
  13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Pardon the drool from my face ...

Ya dun it agin! Dang!

14. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's a bass in VERY limited quantities, a lefty 4001CS.
    Here's my Rics:
  15. I dig your Beatles style paint job on the left. :)
  16. Do you play with the bass strung righty?
  17. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Yep, E string on bottom.
  18. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    David....congrats on the the beautiful cii. I must agree that the Montezuma Brown is stunning in person. You may be in trouble now though........after getting my LK I find that I "need" another 4004 model. The tone and the playability are addicting. I wouldn't be surprised if you report back saying it is your new #1 :bassist: .

BTW.......for insurance purposes my Lemmy was appraised at $10K (by a very trusted/respected Ric dealer). I know insurance appraisals tend to be a tad on the high side and I'm not saying I could get that for it......but I wouldn't sell it for that either. Just keep a close eye out and check online Ric dealers often......someone on the Ric Forum scored one from Music123 for $1800 because of a cancelled order.
  19. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    If this was a Sadowski this thread would be 8 pages long already :bag:.

I'm not anti Sadowski (they do play quite nice and sound killer) but it is amazing the drool that goes on everytime a pic of one is posted and this stunning Ric is shown and the thread is fading into obscurity already. That Monty Brown looks every bit as good as anything posted on this site (well, except for my Rics of course :smug: ) bump :eek: .

B'Aces....we're tied at 4 :D .

....and taking any opportunity to post a family thread hijack intended......just trying to keep the thread alive.....

20. Hmmmmm which to steal................ :D just pickin , i love your family there. :D