1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Ric, setup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bookmd01, Mar 17, 2008.

1. bookmd01

bookmd01

Feb 28, 2008
    I was reading a cool post ( http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416394 ) talking about the pro's and con's of Ric's...and one common element was the sound and setting up a Ric to get the best out of it.
    Eg.
    I just bought my first Ric and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or examples for setup tips?

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think you are over-thinking and I don't agree with the quote in your post. The two Rics I've had had hotter inputs than most of my other basses, and I bit more natural low end, so I adjusted my amp by not boosting the lows, like I do with my Jazz basses, for example, but other than that, there is nothing much different.

Is not like I have to spend 10 minutes figuring out the EQ when I play a Ric. Like with any other bass, your sound will very greatly depending on your amp setup, and where you are playing.

Just follow the golden rule (if there is one): start with everything flat and adjust by slight increments.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Rics usually come from the factory with a bad setup ...

For the neck ... Adjust the dual truss rods and make the neck flat.

The bridge is a simple allen screw adjustment up and down ...

raise the pickups as high as you can ... but not so high that you hit the strings ...

Take off the bleeping pickup cover ...

And if you feel you are up to it try to lower the action at the nut ...

Also I never use the Ric-o-sound or the mechanical mute ...

and one last trick ... you can take a really small piece of fine sandpaper and slightly round the edge of the binding where your forearm hits the bass ... this will make it more comfortable to play ...

:hyper::bassist:

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I thought my Ric came with a pretty fair setup. The only thing I did was slightly raise the pole pieces on the E and A and take off the bridge cover. The neck had zero dead spots and the action was relatively low.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Oh, about setting up the instrument itself:

-Set the neck straight (by adjusting the truss rods),
    -Adjust action with bridge height,
    -Check for any uneven nut slots - they should be even,
    -Set pickups as close to strings as possible, but make sure pickups and strings don't touch when you are playing.

6. bookmd01

bookmd01

Feb 28, 2008
    thanks for all the replies...I'll work on the pickups and bridge...
    ...have ya'll had much problem with the neck not being true from the factory?

fine tuning the amp got much easier when I upgraded my (dimestore) amp to a new Behringer AX4210 (I've heard some bad things about them around here, but for my modest purposes it sounds pretty good)