1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Rickenbacker 4003's For $1510 Delivered

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gull, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Gull

Gull

Aug 7, 2012
    Tampa Bay
    For those searching for good deals on Rickenbacker basses: having the latest info like like would have saved me some effort - so I thought I'd post this for the next guy or gal. I have no relationship with any of these retailers - and in fact only heard of some of them via TB -- with a special hat tip to TB'er electracoyote.

This is as of August 2012 -- this may not be the case depending when you view this. But I would suggest starting your search by contacting these three great retailers (after searching TB for some used ones that is).

Bruce Beard from Wildwood Guitars http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/ out of Louisville, Colorado offered (via email, not advertised) $1510 which includes shipping.

Pick of The Rick's http://www.pickofthericks.com/ offered something very close and, to their great credit, said they'd go further to match Wildwood's offer.

Musician's Friend http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ could get down as low as $1657 for one of the finishes -- but no further.

Also another note: some of these and other retails would only offer the traditional $1800, $1900, $2000+ prices when I first talked to them -- and only started getting serious with their deals once I mentioned what some of these other guys were offering.

Hope this helps someone find a great playing bass -- and helps these retailers who are offering good deals.

2. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    Every time I see one of these threads I slap myself in the face for paying full price for mine.

3. Gull

Gull

Aug 7, 2012
    Tampa Bay
    Hey ampelmann, I know how you feel.

4. Gull

Gull

Aug 7, 2012
    Tampa Bay
    A note from the post where I learned more about where the good Rick prices were coming from: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/ho...on-stickers-rickenbacker-4003-devalue-905878/

Thing about Rick prices: when places that usually discount their gear say "Rick doesn't let us discount their stuff" and you see even on the secondary market consistently high prices, and you know Rick is good at shutting down imposters -- you start to think: well maybe they do have a good hold on keeping their prices high. And they definitely do seem to do a better job of keeping their prices high at most retail and secondary market levels compared to other guitar manufacturers.

Good to know there are actually some options though...

5. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
  6. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    I wouldn't buy one of these without playing it.
    My experience has been that the Ric's that I have played range from fairly good to really bad. If you must buy one, try to get a fairly good one.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I paid $850.00 for mine.

Of course that was the latter part of the previous century,,,,,,,,,

8. I still gotta give MF credit for the $1,080 I paid for mine in december 2011.

You guys notice that MF was willing to discount the MID blue ric for Gull , but only in that color not other colors..... sounds like in the future they may blow out the blue ones again , it has been 1 year since the last blow out and I am guessing they just dont sell like the other colors do.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I was at Wildwood guitars about 6 weeks ago ... They only stock a few Ricks at a time. I think when I was there they had 4 basses. At least one was a 4004.

11. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Actually Wildwood has a glutton of Mapleglo's in stock at the moment. They're really a good group of guys there.

12. This is what I have been saying for years on this VERY SITE. Rics can be found all over the place and for a very reasonable price. Unlike the nonsense that always seems to follow them around - you DO NOT have to wait 2 years for delivery and they ARE NOT $2,500...:D

13. I'm gonna be in Fort Collins and then Boulder next week. How far down to see them?

14. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    I bought mine before I discovered TB :(

15. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I picked up one of the two Mapleglo's from http://www.pickofthericks.com/ a few weeks ago and paid a great price. If the remaining bass is anywhere near good as mine, it's well worth getting.

16. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I used to live in Fort Collins. Please say hello for me.

Louisville is next to Boulder, so it shouldn't be too far for you.

17. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    What is the full price for one nowadays? :eyebrow:

18. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    January 1, 2012 price sheet:

4003 - $2159
    4004L Laredo - $2459
    4004Cii Cheyenne II - $2729

Obviously, these are the list prices; street prices considerably lower.

19. I bought a Ruby Red 4003 from Wildwood earlier this yaer and am buying a Maple Glo and a bunch of effects from them today. They are a real pleasure to buy from.

20. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I just ordered this one from Wildwood great guys.

4abd4ed2. d0594424. 51865c85.