1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Rickenbacker 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnson79, Jan 19, 2018.

1. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Looks like Rickenbacker will have a 5 string at Namm.

Attached Files:

2. This could be amazing or an epic fail.

3. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    ^ agreed.

I have always thought this, and another infinitely-smarter TB dude said similar, that when you have your tuner barrels feeding-out the strings that far off ( neck-wise ) from the nut slots - that it is a non-optimal design. Rickenbacker will never lose that logo on the headstock, so a 5er makes this situation even more-non-optimal! I think.

And that other TB guy might start losing some business, if this does take off :)

bobyoung53 and Mpike like this.
  4. Looking forward to seeing this! I hope this doesn't affect @Ric5 's work too much.

5. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    I predict a $2999 Street price.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Didn't they try this before?

7. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    On another note, what if Chris Squire had one of these to start with?

rtav, Tobiasfin, MrLenny1 and 6 others like this.
  8. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Good news, it can be both.

9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    They did. The string spacing was too narrow for most bassists, and the B-string did not have enough heft.

bobyoung53, TolerancEJ and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    The pickups were also poorly designed. Too narrow, I believe. And "negative neck angle" problems, bridge tail lift, etc., a mess.

rtav and nixdad like this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Oh, don't worry... their marketing department will take care of those issues...

... they do have a marketing department, don't they?

Cafeteria?

12. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    The reason we haven't seen these 5ers until now is that the engineers over at RIC needed time to enhance these design features.
    (yes, I still have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my RICs)

13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    He’d have it strung with a high C.

rtav, Reedt2000, rawrOOO and 14 others like this.
  14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Those are actually two different models. They 4003 5 string was deemed "too narrow" by most players but had sufficient pickup coverage. The 4004 5 string had "acceptable" string spacing but insufficient pickup coverage.

Personally, as the owner of a 5 string converted 4003 which uses an OEM 4003 5 string bridge, I find the "too narrow" complaint to be vasty overblown. It took me maybe 2 or 3 playing sessions to adjust to the spacing, no more than it did to adjust to the 33 and 1/3rd" scale coming from a 34" bass. Playing "normal" basses almost feels kind of clunky to me at this point. But I never learned how to slap, so it's possible all the complainers were slappers.

I've also never had any complaints about the B string. Rings epic and loud, no flop. Plenty of Rick players string BEAD and love it.

I'm not gonna lie, I have a lot of questions about what the new 5 string Rick is gonna be, and how it compares to my Frankenstein.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    ELynx, Korladis, HaphAsSard and 2 others like this.
  15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    For some reason I can't get over headstock designs that don't pull the strings in a straight line from the north side of the nut to the tuner. Yeah I'm a nerd.

BassmanM, ELynx, handofseven and 3 others like this.
  16. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Oh. My. God. I’m very excited. I just hope that it’s a normal production model and not a “let’s only make 75 and charge $3000 and then wait another 10 years to do it again” kind of situation.

17. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    If people don't buy it, why would they make more?
    If you and others DON'T buy them, then why would they make more? One (just one) of the reasons they haven't made fivers lately is that they didn't sell well when they were making them. Same for the eight-stringer. True, the designs or performance may have made them unappealing, but maybe this new one will rectify the problems. Then they'll see demand for fivers. Or not.

18. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    That left turn the A string makes at the nut to the tuner concerns the hell out of me. I'm no expert but I'd have to think that messes with the string tension.

BassmanM and ELynx like this.
  19. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I feel the same way. The old 80’w Kramer pointy headstock drives me nuts.

Mpike likes this.
  20. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Well I guess we’ll know more next week at NAMM. Interesting to see what the details are.

TolerancEJ and Mpike like this.