Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rickenbacker owner, string ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by timv, Dec 9, 2004.

1. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I know this has been asked before but I didn't find exactly my answer through a search. I just got a 1994, 4003 and find the strings on it right now to sound a bit flat, they may just be old but.... He said they were d'adario nickels. I usually use DR highbeams and just want to ask if anyone with experience in that combo can give some insight. Will it be way too bright? I haven't had any major fret wear on my other basses using steels but don't want my new bass to be the first. It has bartolinis in it. Anyway, thanks for the input.

2. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    It all depends on flave. I use Ernie Ball Slinkies on all of my Ricks and they are nickel wound. I have yet to see any fret wear and they rock. The bartolinis will actually make the bass a little quieter and more refined sound. The nickels might help it come up a bit. Is the bass active or still passive? the one that had with barts was passive and very low output.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I have Barts in my Rics and find the tone to be a little deeper than with the stock p/u's (using the same strings as a comparison). You'll probably have to swap a few brands/styles before you settle on what strings you like best....the tone depends on your rig, playing style, effects, etc.
    I use GHS Boomers and am perfectly happy with the tone and they are cheap (I swap them after every gig).I have had my '93 4003 MapleGlo since new and have no obvious fret wear.
    Not exactly the info you asked for....but it can't hurt :eyebrow:

4. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    My other bass is a warwick streamer standard and I like how the high beams sound on that. So if the bart's are a little warmer than the standard pickups, the high beams might brighten it up a bit and make it louder as well. It had a recent fret dressing done and I'm not sure what that does exactly but just want to know if that would make the steel strings eat up the frets quicker or not?