Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rickenbacker sighting in USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 15, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am completely in love with this Rickenbacker 4004/5 Cii

[​IMG]

i'd love to hear from USA resident if the bass is in the shops and if someone have had the chance to see and try one. thanks

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    WOW!
    I like it,

3. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    In theory, I've always like the Cheyenne model. Now it's in a five-string? I'm curious, too. Sure does LOOK good...I wonder how she plays and sounds!

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i read all the topics and reviews i found about this bass. it's an obvious attempt to update the all time classic Rickenbacker 4000 design. from the pics and specs i have seen it could be a great move. correct string spacing (the previous model had strings too close...), new humbucking pickups. this put together with famous Rickenbacker quality and attention to detail, this means a bass with neck thru body design, great wormanship and great woods. fingerboard is bubinga, body is walnut with maple top. neck is one piece maple. the humbucking high gain pickups and the walnut body seems to add low end and darkness to the Rick vibe. i really like the fact that the bass is passive. as you can see from my profile i live in italy so i'll have no chance to see and try this wonderful looking bass so i am posting here to have comments from usa resident who saw and played the 4004. hope that some folks will try this bass at the next NAMM....

take a look here for the 4 string...

www.rickbeat.com/modelslibrary/4004cheyenne2/4004cheyenne2.htm

awesome looking bass!

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    "Vintage" style or "Modern" style.
    What a wonderful world!
    "Nothing beats a RIC!"

6. WOW!!!!! beauty!!!!!

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    very, very neat. glad to see Ric putting out a new axe.

8. I like it for the most part...though I think the left side could use some serious reshaping. Looks a little sloppy, IMO.

EDIT: Note, this is said looking at the ones off of Rickbeat.com. The one pictured above looks a lot smoother and nicer.

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    This bass looks Awesome, but would look so much better with the Ric signature triangle inlays.

I've always wanted a Ric, and I want this one even more.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    keep in mind that the triangular inlay are not so traditional...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in a certain way a "recent" addition...

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Scale length is only 33.25 inches. Anybody else think the low b might be a little floppy? looks great though

12. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    I've played that model and yes the low B is floppy but it doesn't sound too bad. You can get away with it. I thought the bass sounded really good and have always thought rics got a bad rap as one tone basses.

13. re. Lemmy's maple-fingerboard Rick;

[​IMG]

which model is that? I've never seen any 4001/4003 traditional-style Rick with a maple board- only recent Cheyenne/Laredo models.

is it even a genuine Rick?
    Lemmy said that he bought it defretted and had to re-fret it, and he'd never seen another maple-board Rick.

14. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto

Rickenbacker use a 115 gauge string for their "B"string on their 5 string basses. This gives it a bit more tension than a 130 gauge. It also eliminates any floppy ness in the string do to the shorter scale of the instrument. It works well.
    This new 4004/5CII is supposed to have very wide string spacing, but it also has a very uncharistic (for Rickenbacker) thick fat baseball bat for a neck. I'm told these won't be shipping until late fall. The push right now is on to get the C-Series instruments out of the factory. It's really about time too, since they were only introduced 18 months ago and still none have shipped todate.
    Cheers,

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    when i met and interviewed Lemmy he said the same. the bass was defretted. he was not sure, but it seems that the maple fretboard is a custom work made by the luthier who refretted the bass. the luthier changed the fretboard too.

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks!
    i post there too. but the 4005 is a different bass:

[​IMG]

17. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I thought that the heavier the gauge the higher the tension. I could be wrong though.

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Bassman's got it wrong and swingbass has it right. Change to a heavier string and pitch would naturally be lower at the same tension, therefor tension must be increased to get it up to same pitch. Change to a lighter string and pitch would naturally be higher at the same tension, therefor tension must be lowered to get it down to same pitch.
    I can't believe it! Someone has actually seen and played one of these! Can you tell us a little more about it?

19. Sorry, I meant 4004s. I was thinking of 5 strings I guess!

The headstock of the 4004/5 looks quite big but I guess that can't be helped. I do like the body - no plastic or metal clogging up the place, just nice wood. The shape of the body does seem to be a slightly different shape than the 4001s &4003s though.