Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New rig. Acme b4 came today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soundoholic, Sep 17, 2003.

1. My acme b4 just came in today! Problem is my gear is in Omaha with my bands gear in our roadie truck... This sucks!!! I'm going to try it out on this weekends gigs. I'm really excited. I'm planning on writing a full review but here is what I think of it without ever hearing it:

Best looking cab I have seen. I love the stage black industrial look. I hate chrome on speakers. Very clean looking. I picked it up and it is pretty light. I bet about the same weight as my eden metro, but it can handle twice the power. I actually don't mind the handles. I can't imagine this thing getting loud and producing lows since it is very shallow compared to my eden rig. From other reviews I think I'll be suprised. I swear it just seems small. Love the speakon, 1/4", and bannana connectors in the back. It has two controls for the midrange speaker and high tweeter, both controls feel fine.

On a side note. Does anybody know where I can get a good priced custom case for this b4?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Congrats! I just *love* new gear. :p

The Acme cabs look interesting, but they are not available where I live as I know.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    let the games begin. :cool:

as first time owner, PLEEZ give it time to break in. you'll ruin the surrounds if you push it too hard, and thusly ruin any chance of it producing the awesome low B action that its known for. it'll start to open up, and literally feel like its getting louder and louder.

i know you said your gear is "on the truck", but goto GC, buy a cheapie GK head and fender bass, and give it a good easy burn in for a few days, before hitting the road with it. when you're done, send 'em back for the refund, and your rig will be ready for prime time.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You could also hook it up to your stereo to break it in. Maybe connect it to the subwoofer connection of your receiver at some point (if you have one).

I'm guessing you know some musicians that would lend you an amp for a few days. A lot cheaper than buying some gear just for the purpose.

5. I'll echo joker on the "break-in" period. When I got mine I was without a cab and HAD to use it on two gigs. I didn't have to push the volume BUT all the guys who were in anticipation of being "blown away" by this cab I had talked up so much were less then impressed. You should see the look on their faces now when they realize I'm not running through the PA and all that BASS is coming from that little 78lb box!!!

In response to your inquiry about cases for a B-4 here is an exerpt from and e-mail from a local well known case manufacturer-

Mark is a great guy that makes an excellent product. They can manufacture pretty much anything to your specs. They also have a multitude of colors to choose from in their materials. The price quote above was for a medium duty (truck, vans, sensible rodies) case. Something to shipping specs might cost a little more. In any case, here's their website-

http://www.rockhardcases.com/index2.htm

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Another good case manufacturer is Cabbage Cases, out of Columbus, Ohio.

Cabbage Cases

Tom.

7. Thanks for the help guys. I'm only going to be using it as a monitor and we are playing inside so I'm going to keep the volume down. I'm still looking at the case thing. I don't want to spend more than 200$. I'm thnking about building my own case. I can build a case made of 3/4" plywood and carpeted on the inside for less than 100$, with casters and handles. Once again thanks!

edit: speaking of building your own case. I'm planning on using 3/4" plywood, spray it with truck bed linner, and carpeting the inside. I'm planning on making it have a bottom tray and a top, just like a normal speaker case that just pulls off. Any advice?

8. After two gigs I can very well say that this will be my new rig for a long time. I am still blown away at the low end. I had a ton of complimetnts, but the big one by the whole band was "Turn it down!" Our lead singer/rythem guitirst plays through two Marshall 4x12's and a roland 12" combo amp, plus he is hard of hearing(he will never admit to it). I can now compete with him and I haven't even tested to see how loud the b4 can get. Also, my rig is 1/3 the size of his.

This cabinet would perfect for outdoor gigs since it produces a ton of low end. Our gigs were inside and both gigs were in some of the worst rooms I have ever played in. The first night was a treble machine and the second was a mud mayhem. I found my self leaving my pre alone and playing with the attenauter controls on the cabinet itelf. I miss some of the eden mid punch of my old rig but I absolutley love the low end thump.

I would highly reccomend getting the acme b4w model, the ones without the highs and mids, in place of a 15" or a 18". The regular cabs are defitnetly an aquired taste, but I am defitnetly happy with my purchase. I think if I get to play with this cab in a better enviroment I'll figure out how to set the mids on it.

One last thing. This puppy is amzingly loud for it's size!!!! Very very very light!!!

9. Nobody believes me when I tell them the same types of things. Just the other night there was an FOH guy from the first band at the gig who said he'd help us out with sound. Cool. He comes up mid set and says he's got me dialed in and the bass sounds sweet! I thanked him and told him I wasn't plugged in to the PA:D

He asked me how to get in touch with Acme;)

10. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    love my acme, too.

11. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Acme does only direct sales.
    They claim there are Acmes sold to Sweden though...so if you'd like to A/B them to your Hevos, I guess you could get some addresses from Acme....

...and let me know the results, of course...:oops:

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Interesting, I wonder who bought them. Someone who's on TB?

I'm however *NOT* going to test any nice equipment in the forseeable future. I can't afford the temptation, my music gear account is severely overdrawn at the moment... :D

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    ...and if you´ll sell those Hevos sometime, please contact me!;)