1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New rig advice - long post.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gdthomas, Nov 21, 2010.

1. gdthomas

gdthomas

Oct 26, 2007
    Smyrna, Ga
    Looking for advice on a new rig. Posting all relevant details. The band I am jamming with now out scales my current equipment. The previous bands I have been in have been lower volume than the metal band I am currently jamming with. We play in D standard, with some songs in Drop C. I am using an ESP LTD B-254 with a pick and limited finger style right now. I do have allot of freedom in the low end as the guitar players run more of a mid range sound, so I do not have to compete with them hogging all the lower range.

I will be competing with a Mesa single rectifier half stack and a Peavey 5150 half stack. In practice the guitar amps never go above 5 master volume, and they have an Acoustic 370 head that I have been using, so far the volume on it has not been higher than 5 also. Not sure how long I will have access to the Acoustic head.

So my dilemma is that the only thing I can reuse out of my current rig is a 4 ohm 350w 15 inch cab, And I am stuck between the choices of get something to get by and risk throwing money into a slightly adequate rig because of short notice budget or holding off and waiting until I have more cash to throw at the problem.

What power range should I be looking at to be realistic? If you are playing in a similar situation what equipment are you using?

Thanks for the help.

2. Don't play metal (blues and rock) but do so in pretty good size venues with 3 guitars and a killer drummer and three horns.

I use a GK 700RB-II with a GK Neo 212-II. Works fine, lasts a long time.

The 12's will sit up in the mix a bit more than a 15 inch.

Lots of air movin' with the 2 12's. I run outdoors or in big ballrooms with and without PA support.

If you really want to crank, move up to the 1001RB-II and get the Neo 412.

You might could even stay with the 700RB if you got the 412 (or better 2 MBE 212's for weight and venue control.)

3. You can go a million different ways and a million different people will tell you a million different things.

For my deathmetal band, my setup of a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0, SWR 6x10, and BBE Maxcom works great. YMMV.

4. gdthomas

gdthomas

Oct 26, 2007
    Smyrna, Ga
    yeah, this basically dropped into my lap and got me looking at buying something sooner than I expected to.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Basic set up would be 300-500 watt head, (many choices), and the most important thing is good speakers, and enough of them. That's where your volume will come from. A 4x10 would be considered the absolute MINIMUM, or a pair of 2x12's, a pair of 4x10's, or for a single large cab, a 2x15, 6x10, 8x10, or 4x12.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    right. it's all about air, and you'll need more than a single 115 to do it right at those volumes. get something in the 300-500w range.

edit: sorry, didn't see you had a 4 ohm 115. you might consider another cab under those circumstances.

7. For a head I would check out the Hartke LH1000. I own the LH500 and use it with a 4 ohm single 15. Since you mention that your cab is also 4 ohms, the 1000 would be a better choice if you want to add another cab. you can run two 4 ohm cabs in parallel mode. The 500 is 4 ohm minimum. What kind of cab do you have now?

8. Yeah youre gonna need speakers.... the more the better.

I wouldnt personally go into that garage with less than 500 watts and and 8x10

9. If you are trying to use your current cab, then this thread could be called 2ohms on a budget. Sounds to me like the Carvin bx500, and an additional cab. Perhaps another of whatever you have.

The issue, is that your current cab is a little odd, and may be hard to work around. Most half-stack sized cabs are 8 ohms with larger cabs being 4. That coincidentally works best as most SS Heads are 4 ohm minimums and more speakers beats more power in nearly every instance.

You need more speaker first, which gives you a fork in the road. You will have much more choice if you plan to offload your current cab .

10. If you want to use that 15" cab, I'd suggest getting something like an SVT 2 Pro. Maybe try and find one used and find another cab as well a 410 or another 15.