Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rat, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Just found these forums an I am quite impressed, could use some guidance on a new Rig
    I sold my big rig a few years ago and bought a Ampeg ba-115 to play at home with…I only have around $500 to spend and will probably trade the Ampeg to cut the cost…

Looking to get into a Blues/Classic hits/top 40 type of band with the new rig but want to have enough to cover most situations

I was using:
    GK800RB
    (2)- 1x15” EV loaded Cabs
    2x10” Mesa Boogie Cab

I was looking at
    (Heads)
    GK400RB-VI (Used)
    Berringer
    Asdown
    Peavey max 450 (used)

(cabs)
    Harke VX 215
    Harke VX 410
    Peavey tx410 (used)
    SWR 115 WORKINGMAN

thinking of a 8ohm cab so I can add on later depending on what the cab is lacking sound wise

Planning on hitting the Music stores this week to look around see if there is any decent used gear..

Any Suggestions?

2. nspbass

nspbass

Nov 26, 2004
    Check my signature and that'll give you my answer.

nspbass

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd definately go with an Avatar. They sound amazing, and have a great pricetag. If you wanna get something lighter than the 212, you can get tha SB112, but its all in your own preference.

The 400RB might suit your sound well, but I would definately give Ashdown a look. The MAG is a well-priced head, and can be quite diverse. :)

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 i have the same setup as nspbass. See sig pic.

5. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I hit GC today and was drooling over a Mesa Boogie Walkabout for $475......they also had a used Harke 3500 in good shape for $299

I really like GK amps, my 800rb ran great for the 15 years I giged with it..wish I never sold it

I'm thinking the Avatar 212($321ish with shipping), but also like the Harke 410xl ($399)

I have to check out the mag some where..

thanks for the replies

6. I was happy with my Avatar B212 purchase when it was $360 incl shipping. Now that it is $40 less I would seriously doubt you will be able to find a better deal on a new cab. My B212 covers all small to medium sized gigs by itself. I used to run it with a B115 but I have discovered I don't need it so now it has become my practice cab.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd listen to the 410XL before you buy it. I have one, and I'm currently looking to get an Avatar 212 instead. THe Hartke looks cool, but it's tough to get a good tone out of it. It's kind of tinny and harsh, without much low end fullness or warmth. It might work really well covering the high end with the Avatar 212 handling the low freqs, but I've only got a GK400RB as my head, so I won't be able to dial in different settings for two cabinets. :(

8. dangjalopy

dangjalopy

Nov 8, 2004
    the Ashdown MAG300 and 410 cab is 600 bux at www.americanmusical.com . just a hair cheaper than the avatars. they sound good. i love mine. oh, and the shipping is free at american. you can even make payments at no interest. if you can afford the extra few bux the avatars are worth it. i have had avatars in the past with no ill word on them.