1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new rig arrives damaged!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sadworld, Mar 26, 2009.

1. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan
    just got my new traynor db400 combo and it has about a 2 inch slice in the skin, right on the front corner all the way and into the wood.... how depressing to have to deal with this. what would you guys do. i've already talked to the guy and he said he would make things right. should i take nothing less than to send it back and have him ship me a new one? i need this amp now... how easy is it to repair that skin? not carpet....thanks. matt.

2. Is the skin tolex? (or similar rubber material)

If so it should be easy enough just to glue it down.

However, if it has a pretty hefty mark, what I'd be thinking is the force that was imparted on it to do that, and how much of a knock the amp took. (ie is there possibly some damage to the electronics which isnt present yet etc etc).

I'd be tempted to wait to get it sorted and get a new one, just to be safe.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A good car interior repair guy could make it look new. But if this is new from a store, I'd send it back and get a new one. Hard to tell from your story.

4. That's a drag.
    I hate when something like that runis what should be a great experience,.... getting new stuff.
    I would be concerned that it may have fallen before shipping to get that damage.
    Check it out very carefuly sound wise.
    If it sounds fine, just get it glued down and enjoy it.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've heard of companies arranging to ship out a new replacement and then also having UPS (fed-ex excettera) simultaneously pick up the damaged item in situation like yours.

It'll probably take them a while to deal with the shipping company and this would let you use the one you have now until Traynor arranges everything. Shipping changes both ways should be on their dime!

I'd try to send them clear pictures of the damaged area plus the boxes evedence too, then just politely (but firmly) request my plan above.

6. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan
    yes, this is brand new factory sealed box. no b stock. no scratch and dent. brand new... if it were minor i'd patch it but man it's 2" gouge thats into the wood pretty good.... i've already sent them pictures i took 5 minutes out of the box. i'll let you know how good proaudiostar is to deal with... so far so good though... oh, btw, this amp rocks!

7. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    So it really "cuts through?" Oops, sorry...:rollno:

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    A new Traynor amp damaged through someone else's incompetence?!:eyebrow:

I wouldn't tolerate that $h*t!

Send it back. You deserve the new amp you paid for!

Subscribed.

9. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Since you live in Michigan, I would send that puppy back PDQ. No need of explaining to your friends why your amp has a ugly unsightful gouge in it.

10. If it could have been a shipping issue then get a quote on repair and pocket the cheque. If it was done at the shop then get a replacement or a partial discount. Contact Traynor and get their opinion on it too. I'm the kinda guy who doesn't mind a bit of roughage on my gear but I'm also the kinda guy who likes getting big cheques in the mail. :)

11. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan
    i talked to the guy and obviously he wants to wash his hands of this and give me a $50 credit but also said i could return it if i wish and said use it and call him monday. cool. i took a good hard look at it and it's possible it did not take a hit as the split is on a seem near the corner but the chrome corner itself doesn't have a scratch on it? looks possible that somehow the tolex (?) came apart at the seem. this does have a 2 year unconditional warranty, so i'm seriously considering the offer of forgetting about it... now if i do, i will want to fix that split.... sorry for the long story but what my question is ... is what do you glue that stuff down with? or how would you fix it?

12. what kind of shape is the shipping container in?.......that would tell you a lot about what happened and who you are dealing with.....

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used model airplane glue-you know-the kind that comes in tubes that kids sniff to get high. There are similar glues used for repairing china. They all have a strong smell and dry very quickly. I put a piece of plastic tape down over the repair to hold it in place while the glue sets. Others have even used white glue or carpenter's glue with success. You want to not use too much glue or it'll ooze out all over and make a mess.

I had to do it on my Mesa Walkabout Scout's cabinet. I dinged it getting through a doorway once. I've repaired a lot of tolex covered cabinets and bass cases over the years. It's really not all that hard to do.

14. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Send it back, after the gig, lol. I'd be afraid of internal damage. I had a Metro come UPS and it took a tumble, knocked the transformer right off the main board, it bounced around and took out several other items. UPS has a great insurance policy, quick pay-off too. You'll always be looking over your shoulder at the amp just waiting for something. Best of luck to you.