1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New rig, but not all is well...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berzerker92, May 29, 2011.

1. So I just got a new (to me) amp setup A Peavey Tour 700w Head, and a 400w GK MBX 4x10 Cab, nothing crazy but its my first "real" amp.

Tried it in the store and it sounded good, brought it home and as i really played around with it and i've noticed if i have the highs above like 12 o clock regardless of where the volume is, and i slap, or really dig in fingerstyle the tweeter distorts really badly. If you back it off its fine, but i like having some highs coming through when i'm playing.

I figure theres a few possible reasons for this.
    1.Because the heads got more power than the amp, but i've heard thats overpowering a cab isnt a big deal if you dont crank it all the way.
    2.I suck at EQ'ing and i just have something set wrong.
    3.The tweeters blown.

Its used so suppose its possible that it could be the speakers bad, but i hope not since i just got it a few days ago.

Any ideas on whats doing this?

2. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    What's the rest of your EQ set at? Start with everything at noon and make small adjustments from there, Same goes for your bass if you have an active eq. The thing with eq is to make small adjustments, a little goes a long way.

3. i put everything at noon to check things out and everything sounds good. boosting the highs with bass and mids all the way down and volume low still distorts the tweeter. Actually i can the bass and mids all the way down, or up and it still distorts so im thinking it may be blown. either that or its just too much for the speaker.

oh i had everything at noon on my bass too. its an ibanez ATK.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Does that cab have the tweeter off switch? If you turn it off, does the distortion go away? If so, you might have a bad tweeter. Or it might just be a cheap tweeter. You might just have to live with the highs at noon.

5. it has a horn off switch, i flipped it and it mostly went away hahaha... just confused me more really.

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Tweeters don't usually distort. They either work or don't (from my experience) Can you actually hear the tweeter making noise? You may need to put your ear next to it and pluck a note to find out. I think it could be blown and your woofers are compensating causing the distortion.

7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Check to see if the tweeter has a fuse. that could have blown also.

8. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    That's what those fairly worthless tweeters sound like. When you dig in hard, and boost the highs, they're going to sound even worse. IMO, they sound nifty when you're trying out a rig in a store--so articulate!--but as soon as you're onstage, the tweeter gets washed out by other instruments, you push it harder, it blows...