Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New rig - Can my cab handle any more power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, May 23, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I finally dedicated myself to making the switch to my new rig. It's heavy...but it rocks! Here it is:

Ampeg SVP-PRO
    QSC RMX 850
    Mesa Boogie RR Powerhouse 1000 (EV series)

Yikes! :hyper:

The RMX 850 bridged is surprisingly LOUD coming out of the Powerhouse. The loudest I can go is turning the amp gain to 9 o'clock and the master on the SVP-PRO to about halfway (12 o'clock). This is deafeningly LOUD. And the speakers do a slight bit of movement at those levels, I wouldn't want to push them any farther. My question is:

Would it be of any benefit to move up in power? As in maybe 1200-1600 watts? Is that just begging for cab destruction? It's my understanding these cabs are rated for about 1000 watts RMS (give or take a 100 here or there). Even with such loud volume, is the 850w I'm giving it enough? Am I better off with 1200-1600w?

And what of my Mesa Boogie M-2000? It puts out supposedly 600w. Would it be not good for me to use that with the Powerhouse? Cuz now I'm thinking of selling it, especially if I risk underpowering my cab.

Hmm. Any thoughts?

-T

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Unless the clip LEDs on the amp are coming on when you play your loudest notes, there is no reason to get a higher power amp. And if you can get loud enough with the 600w head without distortion, then there is no risk to your speakers there either! The difference in max volume is probably very simmlar between the two, so just keep the one that sounds better.

3. I run the exact same power/pre setup to an Ampeg SVT410HLF and that sucker is uber loud. On some occasions, not very often mind you, the power amp clip light has come on, but I was pushing it to pretty loud levels. I was recommended to get an RMX1450, because my cab is a high efficiency cab, but I really don't think I need to be any louder than I am now. Like "pickles" said, if it's not constantly clipping, I wouldn't worry about it. 850 watts is alot of juice anyways ans should get ya plenty loud enough. Hope that helps

4. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    You cannot damage a cab by "underpowering" it, only by clipping your amp. There is a persistant myth about this - if it were true, then we would risk damaging our cabs every time we play a soft passage!

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the tips all...

And yes, of course I think we all mean by "underpowering" a cab, that you feed it not enough watts and thinking that turning it WAY UP (and therefore clipping it as you stated) is the remedy.

Nope, no clipping the power amp at all, and the light isn't even thinking about coming on...so I guess I'm okay?

This might be a dangerous topic :ninja: but I'm also thinking about a lighter power amp. 35lbs may be nothing next to the 150lbs+ of the cab, but at least making the rack lighter might spare my energy for other endeavors. Any ideas on a replacement to the RMX 850 that yields the same if not a bit more power but is lighter and doesn't cost me my future child's college tuition?