Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig. Carvin or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I just sold my current rig..
    It was a Hartke 2000 Head running on an Ampeg SVT410HE...

Now, I have the posibility to get either an Ampeg rig or a Full Carvin Stack..
    It goes like this:

Carvin Rig:
    Carvin R1000 Head Unit
    Carvin 4x10 RedLine Cabinet
    Carvin 1x18 Redline Cabinet

Ampeg Rig
    Ampeg SVP-PRO Bass Preamp
    Carvin DCM1000 Power Amp
    Ampeg SVT410HE
    Ampeg SVT115E

What do I play?
    In a Band I play Progressive Metal/Progressive Thrash
    But I really like tones like Anthony Jackson or Nathan East, so a Hi-Fi rig would be nice.

Techniques: Tapping , Slapping , Hard Fingerstyle (Steve Harris like), Normal Fingerstyle.

Bass I use: Cort Curbow 6 String, Custom Omega Bass 6 by David Pushic, Cort Curbow 5 String Fretless.

SUGGESTIONS..
    I need to know what direction to take right now...

I also have the posibility to buy an SWR 6x10" but I think its too big to transport it alone,and it wont fit in my Daewoo Matiz.

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have the same Ampeg cabs as your proposed rig and they sound great. I have had Carvin monitors and they have not been reliable.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I don't remember the efficency on Ampeg cabinents, but I keep hearing about how Carvin cabs are really inefficient; I suspect the the Ampeg setup will be louder. Other things to consider: there are many more Ampeg dealers than Carvin dealers (which means that if there is a problem, hopefully there's a dealer nearby so you won't have to ship stuff). If you ever plan on re-selling the rig, Ampeg has a lot better of a resale value.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thanks for the comment.
    Im actualy a Carvin Dealer and I sell Ampeg too.
    In fact I dont live in the US so I would never worry about warranty because I would be in trouble anyway.
    Also, Carvin has incredible warranty service for me as a dealer.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    There are no Carvin Owners around?
    I have heard comments that the Carvin Rig sound very close to an EDEN , is that true?

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, I'm a Carvin owner. I have an R600, but I don't use the Carvin cabs, I use an Acme Low B-2. I have, however, tried out the full Carvin rigs many times on trips to CA (the Santa Ana store is about 2 miles from my parents' house). I wouldn't say it sounds like Eden all that much. More like Eden than like SWR, sure, but not a dead ringer for an Eden IMO. However, that doesn't matter much, because I like the way the Carvin heads sound anyway. In fact, Carvin and Eden are the two non-booteek heads I like most. SWR gets a bit too zingy for me, G-K too flat, Ampeg too thuddy, Hartke too uninspiring. (I'm sure there are exceptions; these are just personal impressions.) One funny thing about Carvins--they're among the few heads where I get pretty close to the sound I want without twiddling the tone controls at all. (I do depress the mid shift, though.)

Honestly, though, I feel that it's not a good idea to buy Product A hoping to get the sound of Product B. The best reason to get Product A is simply because you like the way Product A sounds.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I wouldn't spring the extra cash for the Ampeg cabinets. I live in St. Louis (where Ampeg is made) I see a ton of their stuff. I own a Carvin RL410T. I have A/Bed it with a variety of Ampeg 410 cabinets. They sound nearly identical. The drivers are the same eminence drivers. The Carvin cabinet is a little tighter on the bottom. The Ampeg cabinet is a little less harsh with the highs (different tweeters) These differences are very subtle.

MY personal choice would be the carvin cabs. Carvin power amp and the Ampeg preamp.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    True, but if You cant hear the Product A without buying it..
    Then comparison must be made.
    Thanks for the comment, I apreciate the input specially in how you feel that each head responses.
    I have the same feelings about the Gallien Krueger and the Hartke
    Any others owners of Carvin Rigs?

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Are you sure of this?
    As I believe the Ampeg used PAS 32 Ohm 10" Drivers for their 4x10" and 8x10" Cabs in the SVT Line.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I use a Carvin rc210 combo as my mian rig. I prefer it to my SWR setup I had for years. It sounds great with my MIA Jazz, and my Curbow Int'l Petite 5. I use the amp set pretty much flat and rely on the bass electronics to control the tone.

The one thing I can say is that I don't know how the new Carvins sound with the tube emulation circuitry. I love the way mine sounds with the tube/solid state blend set to full tube. I don't know how the digital emulation sounds.

A friend of mine heard my rig, and immediately sold his SWR rig to pick up a Carvin like mine. YMMV...

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    YMMV indeed. I have the head with the emulator (series III), but though I've played the older one with the tube (series II), I can't really offer any comments abute real tube vs imitation tube ... because I thought both amps sounded better with the blend control turned all the way over to full solid-state! That's the way I play mine. To my ears, it's a bigger, louder, quicker sound, with better lows.

But again, YMMV.

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cool.
    Those are the things I wanted to hear.
    More more more...

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This shows one of the nice things about the blend knob. Up until a couple months ago, I used my Carvin with the full solid-state. It sounds tighter, and more transient. My Curbow w/TI Jazz Flats through this setting sounds like a big, fat jazz box. But, I have recently started playing my Fender Jazz through the full tube setting for that round, warm tone with a nice, compressed overdrive to it. I played this setting with a Carvin 4x10 and 1x18 on Saturday at a jam and it sounded huge. Very John Paul Jones-y. From superclean to fuzzy...

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    MY experience was with a combo cabinet. A friend bought one of those Ampeg cabinets with the two 10s and 2 opposing 15s in it. I wish I could remember the model name. Anyway, the 10s were shot so we took them to a long time friend of his to have them re-coned. I happened to make the comment they looked a lot like my Carvin drivers. This person's comment was "They are the same. They have the same part numbers on the rebuild kits."

Looking at the two, the appear exactly the same. They are of the same weight. I know that they are both built by eminence. The cast frames are the same and the cones, dustcovers, magnets and wiring look exactly alike. Perhaps the voice coils ARE different. This would answer to your comment of the ohm load being different (as Carvin drivers are 8 ohm and wired in a series/parrallel configuration in the RL410T, thus the 8 ohm cabinet)

Perhaps you are correct. But I have ABed the cabinets with my gear and I stand pat with my take on the way the two compare.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You rang? :D

I like the 18 cab in my RC210-18 setup. It's got great chest thumping lows. I use it crossed at 200 hz and my 10s do the rest. I can't compare them to the Ampeg (no ampeg experience), but I can tell you that I have been able to get all kinds of great tones from this amp. It seems very versatile to me. If you also get great warranty service, then it seems like a winner!

Also, Mine is the R600, but I am sure the R1000 is very similar.

16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yeah, I think Im definately sold to the Carvin.
    I really like Carvin´s warranty and support when It comes to their Dealers.
    Im one of those, and I reported a small glitch on a Carvin DCM1000 and My agent sent me a special relay/fan module just in case it shows the glitch again.

Can you Imagine that?
    Im sold to Carvin.

17. i've never heard the carvin stuff, but i've played through enough ampegs to know they're awesome for rock and blues