1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Rig Day (Gear Pr0n)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theNecatoR, Jun 14, 2014.

1. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    So I have had it for almost a month now, but I waited for the review until I had tested it in live situations.
    The OBC410 Box was already in my arsenal with a TB500. The TB is gone and I have now my dream Amp, an AD200B and I bought an OBC115 too.

DSC_0783_zps56c8627b.

Don't worry, I know about phasing, load and yadda yadda yadda. Live I take only one of the two and I will continue doing so, but I like to have the two alternatives. I will probably get another OBC115 someday to match up.
    But for the sake of experimenting, when the Amp and Box arrived, I tried both boxes together with my Jaguar Troy Sanders. It was awful! Everything sounded almost ok, but the E string was thin sounding and distorted. I did not know what to make about that. I was disappointed! I thought the Amp was not powerful enough to sound clean and that the two boxes together were indeed a disgusting pairing...
    I checked my Bass just to be sure, and I saw it! One screw from the saddle moved so much that it made my E string almost touch the pickups. It has happened to me already with this bass. So I corrected it and played some more and it sounds great, even with both Boxes paired. Creamy and full, and it can get extremely loud.
    DSC_0798_zps872e14bf.

It is not as clean as an Ampeg or even as the Terror Bass, but I don't need that much headroom, and the tube distortion delivers when needed too. With the OBC115 alone, it is really all low midrange punch, smaller and easier on the back as with the OBC410. With the 410 you get deep sounds and more volume. Each box loves to work with fuzz!
    DSC_0801_zpsdf8a0774.

We are a 4 piece guitar, bass, drums, voice, so I have no problem being heard and hearing myself. we are loud, but I try to keep my volume moderate. I tend to use the padded input of the amp, mainly to tame the Muff/Active Jaguar combo. I leave the EQ knobs at noon, which yields a slightly mid scooped sound, if you want a flat range, you should take treble and bass to 9 o'clock.
    With my fretless it sounds really warm and clear. With this amp you can't mess up while playing, because you hear every detail. It is just not muddy unless I get crazy with the Muff.
    DSC_0699_zpsc790f8ac.

I played two gigs so far, one small indoor venue and the open air from the picture above. In the hall I ran through a DI after the amp and had my Box as monitor. The volume was kept relatively low, I was really pleased with the sound of the amp, and from the PA. To the open air we had no PA, just for the singer, so our amps had to do the work. it was a patio like venue and we played from the stairs.
    We played not so loud (neighbors) but the place echoed and the stair location was not really good. Up there where I was standing it was ok, but downstairs it was disappointing at best. Either way, the amp delivered.
    I have never received so many compliments for my amp like on this two gigs. Thumbs up!

DSC_0697_zpsf8199aa6.

The best one came from a girl: "Your amp sounds wicked!... and it looks great as well"

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I used an AD-200 for a good three years in the main practice and recording studio that we used in London. I loved it! It was totally different than any other tube I am ever used including Ampeg's and Fenders and I really appreciated its voice. I loved the natural overdrive I could get from it. A real treat of an amp.

Congratulations.

theNecatoR likes this.
  3. Flirt Alert!

4. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    That is one of the reasons I use orange, since I first heard one I knew that was the sound I was looking for and it has always delivered. The voicing of the Amp is unique and suits me greatly. The other reason, ease of use ;)

I think she just fancies the color ^_^

Photo300414191704_zpsa6c1063f.

On an Orange related note, here I am with Adrian Emsley at the last Musikmesse:
    DSC_0237_zps20cc41da.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  5. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Very nice! I had a Orange 115 I paired with my Peavey VB-2 for quite awhile. It was great for low volume shows. It was surprisingly clear and punchy.

6. theNecatoR

theNecatoR

Jun 23, 2012
    Those little 115 are great! And combined with the 410 sounds astoundingly good, no phase problems I could hear and a balanced sound overall!