New Rig Day! The madness has ended, or has it really just begun?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Clark W, Oct 13, 2021 at 7:18 PM.

1. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    So Saturday I went to my local GC and sold two basses and a Hartke HA3500C head and matching 410 cab. I then turned around and ordered a Mesa Engineering Subway D-800+, and two cabs(not Mesa). After some concerns about power handling, I cancelled the speaker order from two different vendors, and I went with Markbass Traveller 151P cabs. Mesa cabs are really hard to come by right now. SW, GC, MF, and CME were all out.

So as of Sunday afternoon, the amp, speakon cables, and cabs were all supposed to be here today. The amp actually came yesterday. Speakon cables came right after lunch. And then FedEx Messaged me and said there was a delay with the cabs, but they had done that Sunday night as well. So I was really worried thinking the cabs wouldn't get here tomorrow either. And they won't. They somehow made it today!

So anyway, here in about an hour, I'll be moving the rig onto a stand on the floor and putting my GK MB-210II combo in that spot in the bookcase. And then I'll probably be up playing bass much later than I need to be. I have to be up at 6am for work.

A very special Thank you to @agedhorse and all those who participated in my Mesa Amp survey over the weekend.

side.jpg

2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Excellent! So, how does the rig sound?

Clark W likes this.
  3. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I don't know yet. I gotta clean up. I do mechanic work and won't touch my basses until I do. And one of the vocalists/guitarists I jam with is headed over, I see a late night ahead of me tonight.

jeff7bass, SJan3 and Geri O like this.
  4. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Neither. It has no beginning, it has no end. It is eternal.

Timmah, Keger Jupti, Rich67 and 22 others like this.
  5. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I believe you're 100% correct on that.

Ronzo, Gizmot and QweziRider like this.
  6. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Have fun!

staurosjohn and Clark W like this.
  7. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    So the rig...

It's actually way easier to dial in a good tone, pretty good tone, or great tone, than it is to dial in a bad tone. I tried, played off an on for an hour. This has been like my dream rig for the last 44 years, not the brands themselves, but the overall experience from my gear. The power, the tone, the clarity, the tightness, the ease of use, the lack of weight(who would have thunk it?). There's just really nothing that I could complain about with this setup. And not to knock on Markbass, the speakers are great, but it's the amp that is the heart of it all, and the Mesa delivers. But I knew it would which is why I had to have it :D

current.jpg

8. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Wonderful! So glad you're getting the experience you had hoped for. It's all great gear and I would have been surprised if you weren't happy. Enjoy your new rig!

Yummy Notes, Ronzo and Clark W like this.
  9. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Thank you. I'm in bed on my phone, need to be asleep, and I want to slip back down stairs and jam some more. I'm too wound up to sleep.

I'll mess around some more tomorrow evening and report some more. Maybe post pics of some of my settings. Same thing Friday night. Work half a day Saturday. Then it's get ready for Sunday, the real test, 5 piece band and sitting in the mix.

10. Well, that should work out nicely. Congrats!

Clark W likes this.
  11. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Thank you. Its been really impressive so far and I haven't even scratched the surface.

I will say this. If you work a day job, don't order a new rig on the weekend, have it delivered on the weekend instead.

At 3 this morning I was up and at it for the 3rd time with the rig. My alarm went off at 6. Makes for a very long day at work today. :roflmao:

But it was pure heaven :D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    Huw Phillips, Rich67, Ronzo and 5 others like this.
  12. Awesome. BTW, I was fortunate to have my stuff delivers at work.

Clark W likes this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Congrats. Nice rig.
    Those amps are very easy to dial in and pack a punch. Nice cabs too.

and FedEx, that’s their thing.

Now let’s talk about pedals!!!

Clark W likes this.
  14. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    A Mesa amp will make any cab sound incredible ;)

15. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    So tonight when I get off work I'll get ya a pic of all my pedals. My latest pedals are a MXR Bass distortion, had to wait 6 months for it. And a Pigtronix compressor pedal with an adjustable grit circuit built in. I have yet to try either one out.

Killing Floor likes this.
  16. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    For me, G.A.S. is more about looking forward to getting something new than anything else.

Clark W likes this.
  17. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    It was worse than Christmas yesterday once I found out the cabs were in and I was stuck at work for about 2 more hours.

Ampslut and Murch like this.
  18. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    congrats! crank it up and bring the thunder!

Clark W likes this.
  19. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Nice!

Clark W likes this.
  20. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Two single fifteens is the way to go.

dbase, stretch80 and Clark W like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021