Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New rig decision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Mar 12, 2005.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok, I finally got into a decent band for the first time in forever, and it looks like I'll be needing to upgrade my rig very shortly. I need to keep everything under $1,000, preferably $800. I'll be playing mostly small to medium bar type gigs as well as softer acoustic type stuff (which I have a smaller combo for).
    If I used an Avatar B2-10 neo and a SB1-112, would that be sufficient? I don't like 15's due to the boomy tone, but would liek teh 12 for some extra bottom. I have a bad disc in my lower back, so I really want to keep the cabs under 50 lbs each (these are 45) As for amps, what would you guys recommend to match this setup? I want a pretty clean sound. Would a Ashdown Mag 300H cut it for this situation? How about the Hartke 3500A?

2. try to get second Eden or EBS, you won't get cleaner than that (maybe GK, but I have no experience with this brand, unfortunately, cause everyone seems to love it)

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've played thru an Avatar B212 and it was awesome...which is why I'll be buying a B210 and B410 in the next couple of weeks.

Cab-wise, you've got a nice configuration for the type of gigs you're playing...plenty of versatility, too.

I haven't played thru the Ashdown Mag 300H or Hartke amp, so I can't comment, but judgiing from the positive response here on TB, the Ashdown might have the edge...but it's really up to your ears and not popular opinion. Wattage-wise, you'll have around 280 watts using both cabs...plenty loud enough and room to grow.

Congrats on the new gig!!

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA

The Avatars would be sufficient, sure.

But I can't help but think, especially if you have a back issue, that you wouldn't be happier with one of the small Schroeders (1210 or 1212). Those can be had for under $700 shipped, if I'm not mistaken, leaving you enough to grab a head like that Ashdown and still come in under your $1000 limit. And you'd only be hauling one <50# cab, not two! Plus, the Schroeders are more efficient - a bonus if you're trying to get the most from a 300W head.

For reference, I have an Avatar 210/212 stack and a Schroeder 21012. The Avatars are good, but the Schroeder is the gig rig, if 'ya know what I mean..... :)

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Kustom 1200 watt head (Groove Bass 1200) , $500 new but an almost new one is on Ebay right now (do a search for Kustom Groove Bass) for $379 and the auction is ending in a couple of hours.

Avatar B210 (I have the delta, but I hear the neo is nice), very punchy!

Avatar SB112 (hits a low B real nice!)

Under a grand for a MONSTER sounding 1200 watt rig! I run this rig and it's killer, portable. The head is warmer than most SS heads and can get quite gritty if you crank the gain knob (should be called and over drive knob).

To read more about the head (and my cabs), click the link in my sig below.

Good luck!

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Gallien-Krueger is clean. And simply awesome for slap. Also they are very light, under twenty pounds (their 600 watt head only weighs 18, the 480 watt weighs 16.5, and the 280 weighs 15), and can be fit into a shallow rack (they are only 8" deep) which will save you from hauling around a larger rack if you decide to get one eventually.

I suggest you try out Gallien-Krueger as well as whatever else you can. GK is clean with some high-mids bump, very unique tone with powerful tone controls (the EQ is in series, so all the EQ knobs affect the others). However, it may not be for you. I've never played an Eden or Kustom but I doubt these guys are lying to you. I know Gallien-Krueger to be clean, so that's what I suggested.

A GK head will run you from $400-600 new from http://riksmusic.com , the best price I've found anywhere. I'd suggest going with the 700RB-II, 480 watts at 4 ohms, 320 at 8, for $500. If you want to be cheaper you could get the 400RB-IV which is only 280 watts at 4 ohms and 180 at 8 ohms.

Next is the cabinet(s). For a clean sound, GK once again is spoken of around here. You could get a 212 Neo for $600. I haven't played through one, but GK's Neo cabinets are said to be very balanced and flat throughout the spectrum, and GK claims a massive 105dB sensitivity (loudness, but some companies add to their numbers, so it isn't exactly right every time), which is higher than the Schroeder's 101-102dB for the small box. However, you pay with the GK with the 64 pounds (yes I know you said under fifty, but this way you'd only have to haul one cab - you could try the Neo 112 as well), but only one trip, a compromise.

Schroeders are something again, I haven't played, but everyone talks about them hear. There's a huge megathread you may want to peak at, but don't plan on reading the whole thing unless you just brewed a whole pot of coffee. ;) I think the Schroeders would be great for you, as many have said they are "hi-fi" and clean, bring out the best in their bass, etc. but are too expensive for your budget (they run $650+50 shipping straight from Jorg at http://www.schroedercabinets.com ).

Good luck in your decision. You'll need to go to a lot of music stores and try out even more stuff before you can settle down on buying a rig. Please educate yourself before buying though, so on the first trip don't buy the first setup you like without knowing what a good price is, reliability, etc. This is good information to have before you buy and usually after you try something out.

Good luck with it. :bassist:

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah I've been kicking around both the GC mega-stores as well as the smaller Botique places in town. Ampeg has pleased me, as has GK, I hated SWR, Peavey is good, but something either cleaner or warmer would be better. The biggest problem is obviously price. I do have to comete with a Marshall half-stack BTW, but the guitarist is a pretty tasteful "older" guy. ;). I still need to try out some ashdown stuff, but Eden and teh likes are just too pricey. What I REALLY want is EA, but it's just too pricey.

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well... first off..... your cab choice seems PERFECT for what your describing. Especially your emphasis on light weight. The only loud cabs with less weight to them would probably be the Epifani UL cabs... but you'd probably need to work 2 side jobs to get them. :p But... there is one other possibility.

Schroeder. One schroeder cab wouldnt cost much more than the 2 Avatars. And... well... versatility is something you wouldnt even have to question. You'd likely be fully set. Plus, as efficient as Avatar is, a Schroeder would probably spread your power even farther than an Avatar setup would.

As for a head, The MAG just might get the job done, and it would fit nice and snug into your budget. You'll be VERY hard-pressed to find another head in that pricerange with that much power behind it.

Good luck with your decision.

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Thanks for the input. I was just on GuitarX's site (it's a local botique shop) and they stock Schroeder, so I'll try them out. Also, I noticed they have a GK 400 RB III used for $375- what do you think?

10. Quadzilla

Scroll up and view my post about the Avatar cabs (2x10 and 1x12) with the Kustom head. It's worth your time to give this head a listen!

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Definately give a good look at Schroeder.

The GK head isn't a deal at all. You can get one of the newer models (400RB-IV) for $25 more with a full wararanty in case something messes up, and also has more wattage (I don't know the numbers of the -III, but the IV is 280/180 at four and eight ohms, respectively.

Definately play around the the GK head though. It'll sound like GK, but I wouldn't plan on buying that particular unit from them. Play around with the EQ, but little at a time. The EQ is powerful, as I already stated, is wired in series. This means that changing one of the EQ controls all the others will be affected. Start at flat (12 o' clock position) and make small tweaks to your liking, if any. I think GK sounds great flat, but I like to make my own adjustments because of bass, setup, etc.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Thanks for the head sup illidian. I know a boat-load about absses, but I'm very poorly briefed on amps and pricing due to only needing smaller combos. Also, I find that many music stores are terrible about keeping amps plugged in and setup, and I rarely have enough energy to fight with big piles of cables or dis-informed employees. Last time I was in Music-go-round there was ONE bass amp powered, but almost every guitar amp was all ready to go. Really annoying.
    Quad- who all sells the Kustom- are GC and Prosound retailers for them?

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quad, ebay has a couple other Groove Bass 1200's. I read the corporate blub and it states "....look, feel and sound of a Mesa Boogie without the price." That's high praise since Mesa is my "price is no object" GAS....plus the stainless stell look is tight! Can you give us the 411 on this head??

14. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    5stringDNA - I don't believe GC carry Kustom. At least my local one doesn't. And yes, bassists do get the shaft when it comes to buying gear. There just aren't enough bassists to keep the music stores have all of our stuff up to snuff.

GSPLBASSDC - The four-one-one on the Kustom head is in Quad's signature. You can also use the 'Search' function using the words 'Kustom Groovebass 1200.'

15. Quadzilla

Click the link in my sig (below) for LOTS of info on this head. Also if you go to Kustom.com, they have a list of local dealers that sell the head. Online sites like ZZSounds.com and others carry the head too...

16. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok. I did some more shopping today and tried out GK, SWR, Ampeg, Schroeder, and Aguilar. The GK was too high and brittle sounding for me, the ampeg was good but pricey. The Schoeders I liked quite a bit, but just a little pricier than I wanted. SWR was decent, but not a smooth enough sound. It was a close contest between the Aguilar adn the Schroeder, but the Aguilar 2x10 was lighter and $250 cheaper. I ended up buying it for $400, and really love the tone. Even with only using the 50watt out on my peavey minx, the Aguilar really thumps and sounds great. I am probably going to go for the Ashdown Mag 300H head, unless I find a really good deal on a Kustom head. Thanks for the input guys.