Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new rig , going for broke!!!!1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Aug 1, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well. as i'm hitting the freelance stages again and need to sound my ABSOUTE best to put food on the table, this is the best setup i could come up with..
    My Bergantino 322 cab arrives tomorrow, so i went and got this Crown CE2000 , gonna pump 1,940 watts into the Berg's 4 ohms - In my search for a preamp ( I was gonna use the Roland V bass as a pre, but it lacqued warmth..) the best sounding was this very simple but amazing sounding Avalon U5 - I wish I could afford the Avalon VT737!! but this little box has a million dollar sound!! The MTD635 sounds amazing thru it- nuances I never heard before-
    can't wait to hook it up to that Bergie!
    [​IMG]

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    That rig is going to sound awsome!!! :eek:

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    holy fishsticks!!!

seems like a big rack for a poweramp and preamp tho - eventually i'd want a power conditioner and a tuner at least....and do you have to plug your bass into the back?

i'm sure it sounds incredible, and with the bergie... :eek:

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i plug in right in the front there- thru an swr 410- it kicked ass!! so the bergie should kill!!

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I love how the rack ears for the Avalon have ads on themLike you need a reminder why you bought it?! :rolleyes: :D Or, maybe, if someone comes up and asks you about your rig, you can just silently point to the text. Heh.

That should sound killer! I don't have any experience with the Avalon, but I gather it's relatively clear sounding, and with 2kw . . . ooh la la!

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Wow. I've never heard an Avalon, but I have heard good things about them. That looks like a fairly heavy rig though - does it weigh more than your speaqker cab.?

7. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    adrian,
    do you think 1,940 watts will be enough power?;)

i bet that will sound unbelievable. are you still playing in Storm?

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Out of curiosity, why did you choose the Crown over other poweramps?

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ok.... adrian.. I don't know if you've ever heard yourself.... but umm.. you sound pretty darn good to me... why don't you admit it that you had G.A.S :D

I was going to get the same crown power amp that you have but i ended up with the carvin...

That avalon looks badace. I've never heard one either.. how much do they run?

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I beleive the U5 goes for a little more than 5 bills. MF (or was it AMS) has the 737 listed at 2k.

11. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hey Adrian,
    Check out this link and read my rant about MTD - Avalon - QSC PLX - Wayne Jones. I'm still honeymooning with this rig. The latest thing I've done is build a 3/4" plywood cab platform with carpet on the top and dense foam underneath. It uncouples my rig from the floor when a hollow stage or a bad room gets boomy.

Gantt

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39576&highlight=avalon

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Can't argue with the U5 at all but Man, you could have had a V8..... Oops, I mean an E&W PS-2000 power amp and some Genz Benz cabs! :D ;) You know that I'm kidding, don't you? :)

13. The PA in my dorm at Cornell uses a CE2000 pushing a couple of Mackie 12+tweeter cabs for the mains. It's loud, transparent, and CLEAR.

Nice choice.

14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    wowzers adrian!!!!!!!

i ALMOST went with the U5 myself.

i drool over the 737's everytime i see them.

OY!

f

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a U5 for a couple of years now. Looking forward to hearing more about yours.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    fellas- thanks!
    man- the bergantino gets here today , so i cant report on it, but that Crown was happenning! the thing is, i dont know squat about power amps- i looked at the QCS plx 2204 (?) and liked it a lot- but the reason i went with crown is that friend Doc Greene from GuitarShowcase, who is LIVING pro sound, suggested the Crown- something about not wanting digital switching power supplies, blah, blah.. but the reason i DID get theCrown was i heard w BIG system at .. gulp.. Guitar Center, and it was driving the hell out of it!! i took one into the bass room and loved they way it "sounded" ( power amps arent supposed to "sound" like anything- the amplify.)
    Also- the price i got the hookup at GC and got the amp for $509, the QSC was a few hundred more and everyone reccommended the Crown anyway.
    The avalon was simplicity and beauty- it has those preset eq's- preset- so i had reservations- but man, the SOUND!! clean, clear, just happening!!- the number 2 setting is ideal for my MTD- i pretty much stole it for $399- i want the 737 so bad now i can taste it!!- i am looking to se if i can find one at a reasonable price- i cant spent $2000 on a pre now- but i WOULD!!- it would be perfect for my home protools studio as well- i am an instant Avalon freak!
    i dont get the feeling all t his stuff was designed for extreme eqing anyway- Jim Bergantinoi said- "the best preamp is no preamp at all"- so i took that and went with it- i have a great pre with lots of eq right the on my bass- the Avalon kicks into hi gear and the Crown destroys- mind you- im not looking to be louder as much as im looking to be CLEANER. This should be good- i have a gig t the House of Blues this weekend- we'll see how it goes..
    funny- i dont get gassy for amps- my GAS revolves around those wooden sticks with strings on them:p

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    later.. the next day...
    UPDATE...
    the Bergantino arrived!! SMOKING!!! this thing can really handle a beating- and i dont play hard or loud, but its nice to know its there if you need it. really tight sound with very smooth hi's-- i love this cab!!
    however...
    as much as im diggin the Avalon- i may need more eq-- there's really ONE setting that sounds great on bass, but im not too comfy with not being able to eq at all. Its too bad, because the Avalon sound is amazing.. and i can't afford the big daddy 737. so...
    i ordered another EBS classic pre-- got a great deal on a demo ( hardly demoed) and for the miniscule difference in price, i went withthe EBS- the Avalon goes back.. :(
    unless someone here wants it for what i paid-- $400.
    the Crown .. so far so good- i know there are better and bigger amps- but at $509 for almost 2000 watts- im cool.. the saga continues...

18. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ahhhhhhhhh....

another Bergie convert.

great to hear Adrian. I felt the same way about the U5.

gotta twiddle, ya know?

i'm pumpin' 2400 QSC watts into my Bergie 212.

NO SWEAT!

give us details on the EBS pre!!!

f

19. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hmm.. adrian that Avalon is kinda sweet.. I have been waiting almost a month for my swr IOD preamp to get here and still I haven't gotten anyword on it yet...... if you still have it.. I may be interested... i am a bit weary of the minimalistic type preamp.. but I usually leave my preamp in one place anyways...