1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Rig help: ?/aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LouisB, May 21, 2004.

1. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    I've trawled through most of the Amps section but i still haven't made up my mind. I'm looking for a new head and cab(s) because my current 50W combo isn't up to much.

I'm looking for something portable and most importantly versatile. I want a big fat warm fingerstyle sound (that would fit in for playing Sublime and funk) and also have a good slap tone (I'm not looking for a really hi-fi sound, just nice and clean) and pretty much everything in between.

I'm basically set on picking up either 1 or a pair of Aguilar GS112s. They like quite a lot of power, right? So one should be OK for say a 200 person gig with PA support?

As far as heads go a Mesa Walkabout appealed to me because i've heard they work well with Aguilar cabs and should be good for a nice fat sound. But what's the slap tone like?
    I'd also be interested in taking the pre/power amp route.
    I've got a limit of about £1000 ($1800) so give me some ideas!

2. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    Bump

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have two gs112s and stewart 1.2 with tech21 RBI and although I"m not a "slapper" my friend was impressed with the smoothness of the tweeter at a moderate volume. in general gs112s have a fat sound without a boxy sound. i like them.