Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig help: ?/aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LouisB, May 21, 2004.

1. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    I've trawled through most of the Amps section but i still haven't made up my mind. I'm looking for a new head and cab(s) because my current 50W combo isn't up to much.

I'm looking for something portable and most importantly versatile. I want a big fat warm fingerstyle sound (that would fit in for playing Sublime and funk) and also have a good slap tone (I'm not looking for a really hi-fi sound, just nice and clean) and pretty much everything in between.

I'm basically set on picking up either 1 or a pair of Aguilar GS112s. They like quite a lot of power, right? So one should be OK for say a 200 person gig with PA support?

As far as heads go a Mesa Walkabout appealed to me because i've heard they work well with Aguilar cabs and should be good for a nice fat sound. But what's the slap tone like?
    I'd also be interested in taking the pre/power amp route.
    I've got a limit of about £1000 ($1800) so give me some ideas!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have two gs112s and stewart 1.2 with tech21 RBI and although I"m not a "slapper" my friend was impressed with the smoothness of the tweeter at a moderate volume. in general gs112s have a fat sound without a boxy sound. i like them.