1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New rig help/opinions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caesarbass, Mar 7, 2005.

1. caesarbass

caesarbass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Media producer for Nordstrand Pickups, Wilkins Basses, G&L Guitars and Basses, Marco Basses, Tonecraft Audio, Lemur Music. I also run TheBassHang.com and am a dealer for Ulyate Pickups and Colibri Basses
    I need some help on a new rig. I'm using an Avatar 212 cab with an older Eden WT-800, bridged at 8ohms, 800 watts. I'm running into problems. My power amp clip light is coming on more frequently. I run the EQ flat on my head so I'm not getting any pre amp clipping, or distortion. I'm actually really sick of not being able to run below 8 ohms bridged. I'm thinking of going the pre amp/power amp route. Perhaps a Stewart power amp and a demeter or an Avalon u5 pre. Should I also be looking at a new Cab? Is the Avatar an effeciant cab, or will I be better off getting a new, more efficiant cab? The thing I really like about the Avatar is that it sounds good really loud and at lower volumes also. On average I gig at least 2 times a week, sometimes more, so I need something reliable. I'm open to suggestions, you TB'ers seem to be some of the smartest bassists out there!!!! :help: :D
    Edit: I also like having only one cabinet.

2. caesarbass

caesarbass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Media producer for Nordstrand Pickups, Wilkins Basses, G&L Guitars and Basses, Marco Basses, Tonecraft Audio, Lemur Music. I also run TheBassHang.com and am a dealer for Ulyate Pickups and Colibri Basses
    Anyone....Bueller, Bueller... :help: :help:

3. Tophe07

Tophe07

Feb 26, 2005
    I would go with a used Eden WT1000 off of ebay. 1000watts rms monobridged into 4 ohms...or 2 x 450 rms

You can use your wt800 as a pre for it if you wanted to.

you could probably get one in the $500 range. I'm very happy with mine...running a WP100 navigator pre-amp into it. Sounds great and very versatile for different cab set ups.

Good luck