New Rig Ideas and Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman314, Jul 31, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I've decided that I want to go with a dual-amp rig.

Right now I play an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro through an Aguilar 1x15.

I'm in total love with that sound for my clean channel.

SO, my thought is to get a n SVP-PRO preamp for my clean channel, an additional Pre-amp for the dirty channel and send them both to a QSC or other stereo Power Amp.

For the dirty pre-amp, I'm up for options. I'm leaning towards a SVPCL, only because I've had great experience with Ampeg.

I'm leaning towards a QSC Power amp, because our church uses them for our subwoofers (dual Community 1x18's) and I like that sound, as well.

Right now, I'd like to brige mono the power amp into my AGgie Cab, and eventually add a 2x10. That would either be run agan as Bridged Mono, so both cabs had the same output, or I would set it back to stereo and have one cab for clean, and the other for dirty.

I'd like to leave my Power output around 275-400 watts at 8 ohms. I prefer 1RU preamps and a 2RU power-amp so I don't have to go buy a new rack, either.

1) If I set the power amp to Bridge Mono, can I run 2 inputs into one output? Or is it then 1 input and 1 output?

2) Based off of the manuals and circuit diagrams, it appears the SVT-3PRO and the SVP-PRO are essentiallty the same pre-amp circuit.

3) For solid tone with the effects I am using (see my profile) what are some other preamps I could/should look at?
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Doesn't the SVT 3 Pro have a dirty channel?

If it's enough volume for you, why don't you just buy a pedal or another preamp for the dirty and use the SVT 3 Pro for clean and the power?
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you like the 3-Pro, why not keep that and either use an FX unit for dirtyness, or just use the power amp of the 3-Pro with another preamp? Unless you want more power, you really do not need to get a power amp and all that jazz.
    1) Bridged, its 1 in/1 out
    2) Yes, and if you really want to use a seprate power amp you can just hook up the preamp out/FX out of the 3-Pro to the power amp for it to be a SVP preamp.
    3) Check out the Eden Navigator, maybe an Aggie 680 or 659, there are lots of preamps and you need to find one to suit your sound. Its kinda hard to name off preamps for someone else's sound.
    PS, most poweramps these days don't run below about 800 watts.
  4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The SVT-3PRO does not have a dirty channel. It's a single channel amp.

I want to have a dirty channel and a clean channel at the same time, so even if the SVT had a dirty channel, I wouldn't be able to do it.

Thanks for the ideas on the preamps!