Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New rig isn't loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bentem, Mar 4, 2003.

1. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I just bought an avatar b210 and a old old peavy m300 power amp. The cab just came today, and when i finally set it up, it wasnt any louder than my little combo amp.

I have a monster speaker cable connecting the cab and the power amp(i plugged it into the output) and a regular guitar cable from the High z input to a Korg toneworks px4b pandora, then to my bass. The amp is supposed to run 300watts at 2ohms, and i think 210 watts at 4ohms. The cab is wired at 4ohms

2. I am pretty sure that others will say the same thing, but the signal from the pandora to the power amp may not be hot enought to drive the poweramp. You may need a proper preamp.

3. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Does that mean that the pandora cant handle the power of the poweramp?

also, the cab hisses a lot

4. you've got it backwards: the Amp is not getting enough from the Pandora.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Turn that tweeter OFF. I hate tweeters!

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    NO TURN THE TWEETER ALL THE WAY UP BECAUSE I LOVE THEM!!!! :rolleyes:

anyhoo, i'm not sure that the pandora can work as a proper preamp. and if it can and is - how powerful was your combo amp? if your combo amp was 100w you would need 1000w to sound twice as loud (i think that's how it works). so going from 100 to 200 won't be that noticible in most cases.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got a guitar version of the pandora's box and it's not a pre-amp - it's an effects unit.

The output from a bass, even after the pandora, is only a fraction of a volt. The pre-amps job is to boost that signal so it's somewhere between 1 and 2 volts, effectively feeding more juice into the power amp. A combo or a bass head has the pre-amp built in. But with a power amp, you need to get a seperate pre-amp unit.

8. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The combo was 25 watts, so w/ 210, i was expecting to shake the house.

i think i'll put the tweeter halfway, as a compromise

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    tweeters don't shake houses :)

10. Like Petebass said, the output of the Pandora isn't hot enough to drive the amp properly. You need a preamp. If you have to crank the Pandora to get any volume, that would also explain the hiss. Having to crank stuff tends to add hiss....

11. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Yo Bentem........first of all I need you to run outside, wrap your arms around the corner of your house......and shake it. If it shakes easily, I'd advise MOVING...immediately! :D

Now, my recommendation. Does your little 25 watt combo have a external speaker jack on it? A headphone jack? If so, plug your nifty NEW 2x10 cab into the ext speaker jack and make immediate use of the gear that you have. If that cabinet is efficient, (I don't know the spec) it may really suprise you with what you're able to get out of it.

RB

12. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    What i meant by shaking the house, was that it would be very loud. Didnt mean for all the confusion.

Also, i turned down the tweeter, that stopped the hissing. But the rack that the old poweramp came with(its about 10 spaces, and looks handmade, but its pretty solid) kept buzzing(not hissing) so i pulled up one of the handles, and that stopped.

Now the only problem is the loudness, i'll probaly get a real pre-amp soon. But i might try the external speaker idea for now.

13. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Ben...no confusion......my "shaking" recommendation was made "tongue in cheek". :^>)

Bentem......do us a favor and let us know how ya' make out with that extension jack thing, would ya?

Thanks,
    RB

14. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Bentem......do us a favor and let us know how ya' make out with that extension jack thing, would ya?

I'll do that... but in general, when you plug a cab into an external speaker jack, does it then bypass the speaker in the combo, and go straight to the cab, or does it use all three speakers?

15. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    It turns out i cant use it as an external speaker, because the mininmum impadence on the combo is 8ohms, and the cab is 4ohms.

and how much should the speakers move, because when i cranked it the speakers vibrated a lot, and one of them buzzed a little. its supposed to handle 700watts, and im pushing less than a third of that(w/o a real pre-amp). Could that because ogf the pandora? or the amp being cranked?

16. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Ben.......sounds like you may have a couple of problems that aren't likely to be solved here. :^>)

I'd take the gear to your favorite "reputable" repair guy or "knowledgeable" music store and ask for some help. Where did you buy the stuff?

Speakers USUALLY blow because of too little power as opposed to using too much. Speakers HATE distortion. They like to see CLEAN power as opposed to square waves. If you've got buzzing speakers and you just bought the cabinet, I'd be very cautious at this point.

Where do you live? Perhaps there's another TalkBass person near you who could take a look at your stuff and help you out??

BTW.....what kind of combo do you have?

I hope it all works out. ;)

RB

17. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Does the combo amp have a line out or a preamp out?
    If it does, you can use the combo as your preamp into the M300 power amp that is powering the 210.
    Some combo amps have headphone out jacks that might work to some extent.

18. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The cab is an avatar, i'll try emailing dave. Also, something inside the amp is buzzing, i opened it up, and everything seemed to be intact.

The combo is a bassman25

19. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Ben.............Run to your Bassman 25 right now and plug the Avatar into the extension jack. I use mine like that ALL the time. When you've done it, come back and tell us all how good it sounds. :^>) You're still sitting there Ben.........go.........off with you! Enjoy!

Now...please note that your cabinet is 4 ohms...............so don't play out with it.....and keep the levels low.......but it'll sound great in your house.

And you CAN run the signal out to another amp to power the Avatar when you DO play out. I'm having my doubts about the M-300 though.

RB:D

20. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the poweramp is a peave m-3000, not 300, i made a typo at the begining of the thread.

like i said before, its really old, but i paid only $100 for it, and it came in a rack.

I'll try the fender through the cab, but it seems like a real pre-amp would solve a lot of my problems, because i'll be putting more power from the preamp to the poweramp, then to the speakers, and i wont have to crank the poweramp, and the speakers will reecive more power, and it wont be distorted.
    maybe?:meh: