Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New rig (Kustom club)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sal paradise, Apr 4, 2005.

1. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    So, after a few months of research and playing, i pulled the trigger on a cab/head rig. I went into the store this morning set on the Kustom head (yes, i've joined the club), but the cabinet was a toss up, i haven't been able to decide. I was kind of leaning towards one of those lower line ampegs, or a used SWR at guitar center. I've always had a thing for ashdowns, but timid to approach them because of the cost. Well, i plugged the head into an ABM 410 and was sold. I went over the $1,000 total cost i was looking to stick to, but the salesman really tried and got me a good price, not too far over that, so i was content. It was also 8 ohms; I was leaning more towards a 4, but this should be plenty loud. the tone is wonderful, the build is solid, and the whole thing wasn't too expensive- i'm exstatic.

But now of course I have a few questions concerning the head. First, the "clip" light flashes occassionally at all volumes, low and high, but usually only on the E string and when plucked rather hard. Should I be concerned? Also, should the "beaker" be turned on or off? Should it be set to "ground" or "lift"? "Pre EQ" or "Post EQ"? And finally, there are two speaker outputs, am i right in assuming it does not matter which one i use? I know these are rather simple questions the salesmen would have been more than happy to fill me in on, but i was a bit gung ho on getting it home and playing, so thanks ahead.
    ...I had a tough ride down the parkway with that 410 in the passenger seat of my honda civic coupe...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

First off, congrats dude. You will LOVE this head. It's a good bit louder under a 4 ohm load, but I'm sure that it's still plenty loud for you. Anyway...

As far as the clip light is concerned, you may have your gain up too high. I usually keep mine around 7 and then use the master to dial in the volume. Where is your gain set to? Oh, don't max out your EQ and tone knobs either. Maybe they are contributing to your clip problem. Mine are roughly at half or so (I keep my EQ fairly flat with minor tweaking). The reality is that there really is no issue if the clip light goes on with a major hard pluck. Just don't push it to the point where the light stays on frequently. Again, whrn this starts to happen, adjust your gain down and you master up to maintain volume but not clip the head.

Don't worry about your ground lift, etc switching in the back. This is only used for going out to a house PA or going direct into a mixing board for recording. You can choose the appropriate setting when you need to use it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "beaker"? Can you be more specific? I have nothing like that on my GB as I recall (I'm at work right now).

Good luck, you will love this head! Feel free to ask more questions!

3. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    ah, quadizilla i knew you'd pull through, thanks for the help. Yes i think the cliping is a bit of everything- the eq's a bit high, as are the tone controls, and i was working more with the gain than the master.
    Sorry for the typo, I meant, "breaker" but it's my mistake. I thought the reset button coincided with the "breaker"

4. Quadzilla

No sweat man. Breaker should always be on :smug: :D !! Oh, forgot to answer yuor speaker output question. It does not matter which one you use (top or bottom). Good luck and hit me again if you need anything!

5. Add me to the club, I just ordered mine today..... :bassist:
    Along with 2 eden d112xlt cabs.

:hyper:

6. Quadzilla

Now we're cookin with Crisco folks! Glad this head is catching on :hyper: :smug: :D !!!!!