1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New rig need advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hawkdiver, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Ronny49

Ronny49

Aug 22, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I found several SWR X550 heads at Music-Go-Round for around $500!

I would also recommend an AVATAR 212 bottom you could pick up for around $400 delivered.

I myself own the 212 AVATAR and love it! I am now looking into the SWR X550 head.

2. read the rest of the sentence funny man...

"sound is fairly clear and uncolored when compared with the GK"

3. hawkdiver

hawkdiver

Feb 5, 2008
    that is the cab i have now but there is only one speaker output on the back of the head.. no clue how i could hook up another cab

4. Ronny49

Ronny49

Aug 22, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    But if you want to get by REALLY cheap.... go on ebay and get yourself two 410 cabs from Seismic Audio. 800 watt rating each cab and only 70 pounds each! Most 410's are around 100 pounds. They are going for $199 but if you make them a $1 offer, they will counter offer you at $179 and let me tell you... these are GREAT cabs for the money!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370266754526&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT

EDIT: as far as hooking up another cab... the Avatar's come with two 1/4" jack on back and you can chain them. Same for Seismic Audio cabs.

5. hawkdiver

hawkdiver

Feb 5, 2008
    I am starting to feel the avatars... after reading reviews and stuff.. Is there anywhere else to pick um up besides direct from their warehouse??

6. yep just read the specs on that combo...that cab is 4 ohm....however that head will come out of that housing and I'm fairly certain it has two outputs on the back...you could just save some dough and recycle the head and just snag some new cabs...

or snag one new cab and replace the drivers in the other one...

lots of possibilities...

i still stand by the LH500 and the Avatar suggestion...

7. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Get a Carvin BRX 410 cab and keep your current head. Great cab with great punch.

8. yep they are really hard to beat for the money...they perform right up there with the big boys

nope they save you the money by buying factory direct....the do ship however for an additional $48.00 bucks

or you could find some used locally or perhaps here in the gear for sale forum

9. runs $600.00 new! good cab too but pricey....when compared to the Avatar

10. hawkdiver

hawkdiver

Feb 5, 2008
    You guys rock.. I'll keep you updated in case you care :)

11. Hartke's coloring is as distinct as anyone else who makes bass amp heads. Some people like different colors but they are all as distinct. Hartke is no closer than the next builder is my point. Choose your color and flavor as desired.
    To the question of the combo having only one output, plug the extension cab into it. Simple as that for most combos? So don't worry.

12. i would really like to know more about these guys....

they are supposed to be based out of Tenn. and they advertise that the front panels are made out of plywood....so what is the rest of the cab made from? MDF? OSB? Fiberboard?

thanks for the link

13. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    I would go with ampeg 610 hlf .
    easy to get around and packs a wallop!:ninja:

14. 600 watts and a price tag of $999.00 using basically a stock Eminence driver...

IMHO much better selections to be made out there without paying the extra coin for the 2.00 badge that reads Ampeg

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    What makes you think a stock Eminence driver that's suited to the enclosure is inferior to someone else's rebadged Eminence driver in their enclosure? If that's your line of "reasoning" you are on shaky ground. I'm neither for or against an Ampeg choice, but a lot of the Ampeg drivers I've seen are NOT stock. They have custom OEM specs, different TS specs than drivers in the stock Em selection.

16. ha ha lol...touche' nothing really

not trying to turn this into a pissing contest i was just trying to point out that for the money there are much better choices out there....

and for the record you would be suprised how many manufacturers tweak a stock driver and call them proprietary....some people are just more upfront and honest about it...

and for the record yes i am biased against Ampeg and Fender for a number of various and assorted reasons...ask me privately sometime and i'll tell you

and for my money i would not choose a cab rated at only 600 watts for $999.00 when i could buy a cab rated at 1,000 for less than half that regardless of the name stuck to the front of it....or simply because of it....same reason i don't buy name brand jeans....why spend $100.00 on a pair of jeans because of a patch on the butt, when i can buy 4 pair for the same price (they serve the same function), not to mention in the case of Avatar I get the added benefit of the warm fuzzies by buying a cab and drivers manufactured in the good old U.S.of A. (which for me personally is a big deal...I buy american when and where i can)

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Ratings by bass cab manufacturers for the most part are not worth a thing. Artificially inflated and not referenced, some totally ridiculous. Ampeg actually has a better track record for not putting their sensitivity or power handling figures out beyond what drivers are actually capable of, but 90 of the other companies out there, not so real.

18. while i tend to agree with you for the most part....

however in the spirit of keeping things civil.....we will have to agree to disagree

great thing about this country we all get to voice our own opinions

19. Ronny49

Ronny49

Aug 22, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ

I am not sure... but I talked with someone out east who purchased two of these and he said he ain't lookin' back! He said they're not the quality of an SWR Goliath... but he said he doesn't need that. He likes them just fine and he doesn't need to worry about them getting damaged or stolen while on the road. He said he looks at it as though they are disposable, yet they come with a one year warranty.

But I put the question in to the company and will come back and post the answer when I get it.

20. I sent them a query as well