Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new rig opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GTI, Jan 21, 2004.

1. GTI

GTI

Nov 27, 2003
    Lookin to buy a new rig for hobby playing. Mainly old school and classic rock. Finger style on a '76 Fender J-bass. Asking for opinions on matching the following together :
    amp head brand is open, but within criteria...250 watt min and under $500.
    speaker cab configurations...sold on Avatar price/value in these combos...B2-12 with B2-10 or B2-12 w B15 or B2-10 w B15. Thanks for the input.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The 212 paired with the 210 will absolutely kill! I can also recommend the hartke 7000 for this setup. Flexible (Bi-amping, graphic EQ, tube & SS preamps, etc.), louder than you'll need for most situations, reliable, can be had for little and are readily available used... Mine paired well with avatar cabs!
    :bassist: :cool:

3. GTI

GTI

Nov 27, 2003
    Big Joe...do you have experience the Avatar 2-12 + 2-10 rig? So they are best Avatar combo?

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    No, but I owned the 410 and 115 combo. That was quite the stack! I think you will have a better mix of lows, volume, and definition with the 212 rather than the 115. Personally, I think that 212's simply make a better stand-alone cabs than 15's do. Just my opinion... :cool:

5. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    Hi,

I have had experience with the Avatar 2X12. One of my bands is classic rock and I was not very happy with it. It is well constructed , handles lots of power and sounds good from about a G on up. It does not like lots of low end as it is tuned pretty high. I tried it paired with and eden 210xlt and also paired with an Eden 115t. It just broke up too much on open E or anything on the B string with any bass cranked in. I'm not saying Avatar's are bad but rather that they are not right for certain styles.

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Great question GTI, I'm in the same boat as you! I ordered an Avatar B210 today (looking forward to hearing it) and wonder what speaker and amp will complement this the best. I'm leaning towards the B115 to get a full range.

I'd like to hear from others who've tried Avatar 210 / 212 / 115 setups.

I notice the B115 comes with (or without) a horn. Has anyone compared both cabinets?

Any other suggestions on heads? I'll be driving the B210 with a Peavey Mark III so I need a new head too. I'll post full details of my Avatar cabinet with my existing Peavey setup if anyone likes. Is there a show us your Avatar thread?

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Good point...many cabs have the limitation you're talking about. Acme and Accugroove cabs get around the problem, but then you're talking about some $. I like my Avatars but I plan on stepping up to the hi-end stuff soon (I hope :)).

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I like the 2x10 and 1x15. 12s are not as punchy as 10s, and don't give enough bottom end.

Not a lot new with that much power under $500. The GK 400-RB - I think it is 280W, and is under $500. For the money, they are great heads.

I'd also check out Peavey (haven't played them in a while, but always thought they were worth the bucks).

How about used? Could probably get a better head for the price.

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    My local GC was selling the new 1001 RBs for $599, which is a steal. It was because they didn't have a 700 in stock, and were willing to upgrade to the 1001 for free. I was checking for a friend, but he went with Ampeg instead.
    Wes